Need Advice

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I went on vacation for a week from last wednesday to this wednesday. When I left I added 2 gallons of 10%. Then on Friday and Monday following I had the person staying here add 2.5 gallons. Tested wednesday when I got back and was clear so first thought is added too much. So got chlorine neutralizer to try and lower. Added 1 pound and retested and still clear. So added another pound of chlorine neutralizer and still clear for FC. FC has been clear since testing wednesday. So I went to the pool store and do drop based test and said I have no chlorine. Not sure of the exact test but they did a drop based test that if goes brown then it is too high but still clear. They said phosates were around 200 so not to really worry.

So I added some chlorine today and should have bumped from 0-6, and still getting clear.

I have tried to replace about 1/4-1/3 of the water to lower the level. So I have a hard time believing it is all gone. There is no smell of chlorine and not sure if the neutralizer is removing the cholorine I am adding. Pool is not green at all. So just at a loss and would appreicate some advice.

I thought my CYA was 40 but when I tested I got 20 and pool store got 30, but this is after some water replacement so not sure what it was prior.

Any advice would be helpful since if too high obviously do not want to swim. If the neutralizer is just eating up the chlorine I am putting in I have read it should be dissipated in a few days.

I am thoroughly confused as to what your problem is. You thought you had too much chlorine so you added a chlorine neutralizer and now are surprised that you have no chlorine? What am I missing?

I am thoroughly confused as to what your problem is. You thought you had too much chlorine so you added a chlorine neutralizer and now are surprised that you have no chlorine? What am I missing?

Based on the roughly 900 ounces of 10% chlorine it would increase fc to around 50. So based on the fc test result being clear before adding the neutralizer it was bleaching out and too high so that is why I added. I only added two pounds and based on instructions should not have removed all of the fc. So that is the confusion.

4.5 gallons of 10% added to your pool raises FC by 35. You could also just wait a few days it will burn off.

Is the problem now that you can't get chlorine to register?

Have you tried a drop test?

4.5 gallons of 10% added to your pool raises FC by 35. You could also just wait a few days it will burn off.

Is the problem now that you can't get chlorine to register?

Have you tried a drop test?
Yes can not get to register. Pool store said just wait until Sunday to test as neutralizer can work for 2-3 days.

I am doing a dpd powder drop test and clear.

So what happens to leftover chlorine neutralizer when there is no more chlorine to neutralize? Does it hang out in the water waiting for chlorine? Or does it degrade completely?

The one I found says use 2.5oz for 10k gallons. How much did you use?

If you add too much sodium thiosulfate then you may have a problem increasing chlorine levels when needed. Too large of a dose will continue to lower chlorine levels when you add more chlorine later on. This can cause an issue when it comes to attempting to sterilize your swimming pool. Chlorine neutralizers often take a few days to dissipate from most pools.

Use the OTO test for chlorine. It does not get bleached out. If clear, you have no chlorine in the water.

The 2 lbs of sodium thiosulfate would have consumed 10 ppm FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.