Need advice on VS pool pump - 1.5hp pump died

Tracy and Marty,
The website from the manufacturer indicates the motor will work on 120 or 240 voltz. However, I checked my owners manual for the 1.65 indicates it will only work on 208 to 240 volts. Either there's a typo on the website or there may be a different model number that works for 110 volts. I would call inyopools or century v green Direct.

Chris

ok... confusing web site. Marty is right. v-green's 1.65 is 240 v only. The .85 hp is 110v. Sorry for the confusion.

Chris

Is that pump for an AGP? Can you use an in ground pump for an AGP? Hayward has the Flowmax VSP which can be had in 115, for about $869.

I haven't ever liked having a single speed pump on my pool however until last year I hadn't found y'all wonderful people.

I noticed my pool wasn't circulating this morning with my coffee. I saw my timer dammits were a little different, adjusted them and walked away. Went back out this afternoon when it should be on and ....Nope. Went down to check the breakers, all good but the GFI did it's job when the pump died.

So, now to buy and install a new pump although I have little clue as to what I should get.
Can y'all provide any advice for me?

PS - LOVE my SWG!!

Welcome from just down the road in Leon Springs. We love our Pentair! Just caught up on the other responses. I'll leave the technical details to the pros in this thread.

Reactions: Tracey R
Welcome from just down the road in Leon Springs. We love our Pentair! Just caught up on the other responses. I'll leave the technical details to the pros in this thread.
Hi! We are basically neighbors. LOL
I think I'm going to get another motor the same as I have currently and then do research for the next time :)rolleyes:) so I've got an idea "where to go" and not be in a spot as I am now.

Tracy, you will still need to check the electric power at the motor to be sure the problem is the motor and not something else. If you can verify the problem is the motor I would call in yo pools as Marty suggests. They can help you select the right variable speed motor. I suspect the century V green 1.65 will work fine. It's a very inexpensive way to get a variable speed pump that will pay for itself in one to 2 years. It also has an internal timer that you can use to control different motor speeds. There are several different models that are designed to be a direct replacement for almost any existing motor. Inio pools will help you get the right number. Sorry for the sloppy typing I have lost use of my right arm for a couple of months.
Chris
Oh my! I'm sorry to hear about your arm. That stinks! Hopefully it will be gtg soon. So if I contact INYO with just the information on the motor I have, they will guide me in the right direction?

@mknauss
I really dread replacing the whole thing but I will contact them and look into it.

Thank you gentlemen

Tracey, you can use an in-ground pump for an above ground pool. Just make sure the pump is sized right. The Hayward Max Flow VS will work. Just make the part number is SP23115VSP (110VAC), SP23510VSP (110VAC) or SP23520VSP (110/220 VAC). On the Filter, you may want to upgrade that sand filter to a larger sand filter or a Cartridge Filter. And with the VS pump, you can run 24/7 and it will use about 60-65 Watts instead of over 1300 Watts. 24 hours of 1100 RPM flow will cost about 1 hour of that single speed pump. If you keep the pool open year round, that is a huge savings.

With a VSP, you keep can keep the timer in place and then you program the pump speeds on the pump it self.

Reactions: setsailsoon
@red-beard
I'd really rather have a cartridge filter instead of this sand filter however I didn't realize changing that out was even an option. I usually do the work myself (with help of friends). If the VSP has timers of it's own then in reality I could still run the pump overnight but alternate speeds by the "day"?
My brain is kicking with ideas now. LOL

@red-beard
I'd really rather have a cartridge filter instead of this sand filter however I didn't realize changing that out was even an option. I usually do the work myself (with help of friends). If the VSP has timers of it's own then in reality I could still run the pump overnight but alternate speeds by the "day"?
My brain is kicking with ideas now. LOL

That Maxflow VS looks identical to my Hayward Tristar VS, as do the controls. Built into the pump you can program up to 8 timed speed levels. I run 6 timed programs: Midnight to 5AM - low speed (1050 rpm), 5AM to 7AM high speed (2800 rpm), 7AM to 4PM low speed, 4PM to 6PM high speed, and 6PM to Midnight low speed. On my pool, the skimmers work better with the high speed flow. I run the skimmers twice a day for 2 hours each time.

I have an automation system, but I have it set to keep my pump on 24/7. This is effective the same setup you have. Cartridge filters are nice. They clean better than a sand filter, and if you "over size" them, you only need to clean once or twice a year. I clean every three months, just to get the organics out of the filter.

Everyone needs to look at the picture Tracey posted earlier in this thread. If the pump is being replaced, it will need extensive plumbing changes as the current system is an Above Ground pump/filter combination unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tracy,
thanks for the kind words about my arm. It's just rotator cuff and part of getting old . Luckily we can just fix things instead of having to live with them . I'm very fortunate.

Marty you are making a great point about this project that should definitely not be ignored. Going down the road of converting to a 110 Volt variable speed pump or pump motor combination is way harder than a simple replacement of the motor. Thank you for pointing this out. There could very well be some additional wiring that needs to be done In addition to The plumbing and new pump installation. It's easy for us avid do it yourselfer's to under state the level of difficulty. So Tracy make sure you know what you're getting into and if it seems too much with everything else you've got going on right now Marty's solution will be much easier.

Chris

Reactions: Tracey R
Marty, I saw that and suggested she change the filter at the same time. And she likes the idea of a cartridge filter over a sand filter.

It will definitely require some work, including a couple of hand valves upstream and downstream to be closed when cleaning the filter and a drain valve to drain the filter before opening it up.

Marty, I saw that and suggested she change the filter at the same time. And she likes the idea of a cartridge filter over a sand filter.

It will definitely require some work, including a couple of hand valves upstream and downstream to be closed when cleaning the filter and a drain valve to drain the filter before opening it up.
I have already installed shut off valves so that's "one" thing off the list. Yay for battle wins. LOL

I will be doing research and getting the VS pump but this buys me some time. Probably changing out the sand filter for a cartridge also. I will need to reconfigure placement etc I'm betting.

I needed to get the pool running so I wouldn't start to get algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.