need advice from TFP on way ahead air bubbles in return line....new construction

What about a uncleaned/deburred union on the suction side ? If they missed sanding down one rough cut it would hold perfect pressure and create air bubbles at the right flow speeds.

ok so update.....

I turned off the SWG and waalaa (sp) the tiny bubbles out of the return stopped to my surprise, then when I turned it back on they started. That makes me feel somewhat better, however, I still have the large air bubble under the lid of the pump. It almost takes up the whole lid about five inches in diameter. It starts small and as the day goes on it gets larger (under the lid). I am thinking my next step is to start the pump with the SWG off and keep it off to see if it the bubble under the lid ever builds up to the large size it currently does. I don't want to keep it off too long as we are very very hot (100s plus) now in Dallas.

Also, very curious about Jeff's comment about " just because something holds pressure doesn't mean it won't leak under vacuum and vice versa". Are you saying I still could have a leak in my plumbing underground? Sorry somewhat of a novice with suction and pressure issues.

Pat,

The SWCG is after the pump and has zero to do with the bubbles under the pump lid... Having a bubble under the pump lid is not really a problem unless it gets so big the pump starts pushing the bubbles out to the pool.

If you turn your pump on and off everyday, most likely the bubble will never be a problem. I run my pump 24/7, so for me, if the bubble kept getting bigger it would be a problem.

Pool Medic said.. ..."the OP mentions that the size of the bubble increases as the day goes on, I’d be curious to see rpms over a 24 hour period?" I would too like to see what happens to the bubble when you run the pump constantly for 24 hours.. :scratch:

My theory is that for the bubble under the pump lid to get bigger, air has to be getting into the pump... Have you added pool lube to the pump lid O-Ring? If not, that would be the first thing I would try.

Show us a couple of pics of the installed pump...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Does it ever get big enough that large bubbles come out of your returns?

What does your pool builder have to say?

Does you pump turn off each day? Does this problem just bug you, or is it causing an actual issue?

We just had another member with the same problem and the fix was to replace the whole lid including the glass.. Maybe your pool builder has one that you can borrow to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
so to answer....

Bubbles out of the return, I thought that it was causing that but once I shut the salt cell off the bubbles coming out of the return go away.
Builder is still working through it. They came out and did an air test and said no leaks underground. The builder did say the jandy rep told him that the VSP pumps can do this because the impeller is running at a lower rate than the motor (I could be wrong on the facts) but basically something is running at a lower rate than the draw causing the build up of air.....hmmmmm....I am not sure about that.
They did replace the lid, still does the large bubble.
As far as bothering me, I guess the reason I am pushing it is the pool is brand new and under warranty. My other pool did not do this so I want to assure all is ok while I have the warranty. I guess intuitively it should not have air in the system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.