Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Hi there,
First time poster, but I've been following TFP since about September of last year (just after we bought our house with our first pool). So this year is my first time ever "opening" a pool. We didn't actually close it since we are in the Central Valley, California, but I'm calling it opening as I get it ready for swim season. Since we fired the pool guy in September, I've had pretty good luck making due with cheap test strips and a sub par drop test kit. Only blindly adding bleach or liquid chlorine here and there. The water has miraculously stayed clear, with only one minor algae bloom just as temps started to rise (also had one just before I fired the pool guy). I got the algae cleared up, (the water is crystal clear and sparkling) and received my TF100 kit. I put the solar cover on it last weekend. Here are my most recent results:

FC 7.5
CC .5
PH 7.8
TA 110
CYA 50
CH 475
Temp 72
CSI .45

I bought MA today from Home Depot and will be dosing the pool tomorrow to lower PH and TA. Should I take the cover off the pool while I go through the several cycles I will probably need to get the TA low enough? I think I should shoot for at least TA of 60 with my CH being as high as it is.

Will having the solar blanket on hinder anything? Will it damage the cover? We have the blanket attached to those solar roller sticks (which I learned about here on TFP). Do you think it would be ok to just roll it up and let it float in the pool and cover the pool at night while I'm getting the PH/TA adjusted? Or would it be better to get it completely out of the water for the duration? Or do you suggest I do something completely different than what I'm planning?

Thanks everyone!

Focus on FC, CYA and CH of course but don't obsess on rapidly lowering your TA to the "ideal" number, rather keep a close watch on the related CSI and pH . I adjust the pH down -0.3 points right away when it gets above 7.8. My fill water tests at 175 TA so each time I add water due to evaporation I am adding TA, no way around it. After draining and filling my pool I had to add muratic acid regularly to keep the pH below 7.8 but that slowed as my TA dropped. Now my TA sits a 110 and I only add 16oz of 31% muratic acid about every 2-3 weeks as need to lower the pH to 7.5-7.6 and keep my CSI in the zone. Every time I add the acid and lower my pH it will also lower my TA and over time my pH rise slows.

I would pull your cover away to the opposite end of the pool for at least 30 minutes when adding acid in front of the return ports. I would also go slow with your acid amounts and use Pool Math to estimate what you need to add to drop your pH by -0.3 points. Over time you will find the TA sweet spot and acid additions will slow or stop, unless your fill water is high TA. Test your fill water and realize there are more important things to focus on thatn an ideal TA. Let your pool find its TA balance. My opinion.

Hi Oly,
Thanks for the reply.
I realize the TA/PH would probably be ok for now, except with our CH being slightly high, I'd like to get them lower and to get the CSI closer to 0.
As far as the solar cover goes, I'll probably remove it completely or at least the half where the return jets are (the rollers roll side to side not end to end). It'll give the pool some time to breathe anyway.

Pool Math tells me I only need about 16 oz. of 31% to drop to 7.5. I was originally going to shoot for 7.2 but I think I'll go more conservatively just in case my pool volume is wrong. I was just wondering though if having the cover on would slow PH rise significantly. And if it does if it would be better to leave it uncovered until I get my TA at a better level.

I am mostly thinking about CSI and if I were to get TA down to 60 or 70 a creeping PH wouldn't be so bad. I guess I'll play with it. But I figure with rising pool temps all of these numbers are going to need some major babysitting. For now the goal is to just have it people ready by this weekend in case it's warm enough for a dip.

You are right on top of things MM, nice. Your pool water balance is in a good place with only your CH a bit high so yes keep a close watch on your CSI to avoid calcium scaling and life is good. Well done now jump in and enjoy the result of your attention to detail. :splash:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.