Need Advice -- 1 year old tile issues

Nov 8, 2017
Frisco, tx
Hello everyone!
I need some advice. Last April (2018), Foley pools delivered our pool to us. We have been extremely unhappy with the installation and the look and the film covering the glass tile. We chose Aquabella tile. FJ1299. They used white mortar for the thinset. We were very clear at install that we were not happy with the tile installation. You can see gaps behind it and it makes the tile look dull. In addition, there has been a "film" over the tile from day one. The tile is cracking and we have missing pieces this summer. I am very unhappy and they are having the distributor out (Noble Tile) to take a look at it. These pictures are from last fall...but I think you can see what I am talking about. Foley refuses to really do anything about it and we have told them from day 1 that it was installed incorrectly. In addition, they were suppose to use light gray grout...it looks pretty dark to me. I hate our pool and want to move! I'm so over fighting with them. This has been going on for over a year. I'm sooooo done! Our year old pool looks 10 years old. Thoughts on our next steps?

Attachments

• Tile1.JPG
    Tile1.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Tile3.JPG
    Tile3.JPG
    546.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Tile4.JPG
    Tile4.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Tile6.JPG
    Tile6.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 109
The "film" covering the tile is probably dried on grout film. It should come off with some mildly abraisive compound (Comet/Ajax) or dilute muriatic acid. Of course, the tile guy should have done this when the tile was installed.

Honestly, though, the tile doesn't look that bad to me (?)

I have to say I agree with sktn77a. That tile looks fine to me. I don't see a film on it from the pics. The grout looks good to me as well. Did you use the grout sticks to pick your color? Did you compare the grout sticks to your grout?

Now saying that..........what can you do if YOU don't think it is a good job..............get everything in writing. Verbal does NOT count. Have pics to back up what you are saying. Then have a sit down with him by the pool so you can show him in person what you are talking about. Take notes on what he says when you have the sit down AND have him sign his name showing he agrees that what you wrote is what was said.

After that............a certified letter with the details of what you talked about with a "deal line" for it to be fixed. It is up to you to say what you will do if it is not fixed....lawyer or small claims court.

Reactions: Shirker
Hello everyone!
I need some advice. Last April (2018), Foley pools delivered our pool to us. We have been extremely unhappy with the installation and the look and the film covering the glass tile. We chose Aquabella tile. FJ1299. They used white mortar for the thinset. We were very clear at install that we were not happy with the tile installation. You can see gaps behind it and it makes the tile look dull. In addition, there has been a "film" over the tile from day one. The tile is cracking and we have missing pieces this summer. I am very unhappy and they are having the distributor out (Noble Tile) to take a look at it. These pictures are from last fall...but I think you can see what I am talking about. Foley refuses to really do anything about it and we have told them from day 1 that it was installed incorrectly. In addition, they were suppose to use light gray grout...it looks pretty dark to me. I hate our pool and want to move! I'm so over fighting with them. This has been going on for over a year. I'm sooooo done! Our year old pool looks 10 years old. Thoughts on our next steps?
The "film" covering the tile is probably dried on grout film. It should come off with some mildly abraisive compound (Comet/Ajax) or dilute muriatic acid. Of course, the tile guy should have done this when the tile was installed.

Honestly, though, the tile doesn't look that bad to me (?)

Attachments

• Tile7.JPG
    Tile7.JPG
    604.7 KB · Views: 84
OK, I see what you mean. Although, again, the lines look like "veining" and the dark tiles look like normal varigated color tile. Not sure what to tell you. Bottom line, only you can decide what you're happy/not happy with. Beware, though, sometimes the cure is worse than the cause!

Reactions: Shirker
Fitfit,

I recently built a house and had problems with our granite countertops. We were extremely clear with our fabricator but regardless, the countertops where not done to our spec. In the end, we got the countertops we asked for but it ended up costing us thousands of dollars more than it should have once you include legal fees, delays on construction loan, and hiring new fabricators. Some of that cost was shared by our contractor but still not an ideal resolution. We probably could have forced our contractor to eat more of the cost but we risked losing even more money in legal fees and interest on construction loan (our bank would not let us close the mortgage until this issue was closed).

I understand the mental anguish of paying for sub-par work. Regardless if that work meets industry standards or not, it was not what you thought you were buying. Hopefully the tile will be corrected but the level of final correctness will likely be a direct result of the amount of time, energy, and money you are willing to apply. You will have to find a balance. At some point you may have to settle with “good enough” or just consider it a lesson learned. I sincerely hope you get this resolved one way or another and get to a place where you can enjoy your pool.

Just an update...the PB has now told us that the tile was installed incorrectly.... (they had Noble Tile out to inspect). They are going to completely take all of the glass tile down and redo it. What areas of concern should I be aware of with this? I'm most worried they will destroy where the pebble sheen and the tile meet at the water line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.