Need a recommendation for a VS pump

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
I have a Hayward Tristar 2HP single speed that is freaking loud and burns a lot of energy. I'd like to replace it with a variable speed or 2-speed pump to fix both issues. I'd like a drop in replacement (no plumbing) if possible. Looking for recommendations. I don't have a budget - I'll spend whatever to solve the problem. Specific questions below, but feel free to chime in with other considerations.

Should I stick with Hayward since my panel is a Hayward Prologic?
My spa is large and has 8 jets and about a 30' plumbing run. Do I need to get a 2HP or can I get away with going lower?
Is it worth it to go variable speed or is 2-speed a viable option?

I realize there are a lot of variables here. Just looking for some guidance.

I believe the Hayward TriStar VS pump will be a drop in for your existing TriStar pump and connect to your Prologic.

With a VS pump you set the speed for the HP you want. Get the 2.7 HP VS pump and then run it at a slower quieter speed using less electricity.

Or you can get a 2 speed TriStar pump. I am not sure how your Prologic will control the 2 speed pump.

For a 2-speed, you would just use available relays...if price is no object, the 2,7 TS or the 1.85 TS VSP is you want to save some cash on install...either way, since you have a prologic, youre stuck w hayward if you want automation.

For a 2-speed, you would just use available relays...if price is no object, the 2,7 TS or the 1.85 TS VSP is you want to save some cash on install...either way, since you have a prologic, youre stuck w hayward if you want automation.

I'm not very familiar with how VS pumps work. Why am I stuck with Hayward for automation?

I'm not very familiar with how VS pumps work. Why am I stuck with Hayward for automation?

If you want to control your VS pump speeds through your ProLogic system then you need to get a Hayward VS pump.

If you get another manufacturers pump it will not communicate with your ProLogic system and you will be able to control the pump using the pump display panel.

If you want to control your VS pump speeds through your ProLogic system then you need to get a Hayward VS pump.

If you get another manufacturers pump it will not communicate with your ProLogic system and you will be able to control the pump using the pump display panel.

If I have a non-Hayward VS pump, can I preset the speeds I want for each scenario, or does it effectively become a 1-speed pump that can only be changed on the pump panel?

If I have a non-Hayward VS pump, can I preset the speeds I want for each scenario, or does it effectively become a 1-speed pump that can only be changed on the pump panel?

Some VS pumps let you trigger different speeds by using a relay in your Prologic panel for each speed setting.

Sorry, my wording is s bit harsh bc of the EcoStar VSP flaws I've been dealing w for ages

If you want to be able to program, change your settings, integrate w other devises or do anything w your VSP from your remote, you need the same make for VS pump as you have AutoMation.

Can someone explain the differences between the Hayward pump lines? Superpump, Tristar, Ecostar - I can't tell the difference

- Superpump is SS or 2 speed. Automation only controls it through relays. Super Pump is 1990's technology.
- EcoStar was Haywards first VS pump that could be controlled by a RS-485 data link. EcoStar drives has had a lot of failures and the pump is sort of a lemon.
- TriStar VS Pump is Haywards latest generation pump for automation. It seems to be holding up better then the EcoStar.

Tristar VS pump is the only Hayward pump I would consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ninasohc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Browsing through Doheny's catalog, I see Hayward Super Pump VS, MaxFlo VS and TriStar VS. The Super Pump and MaxFlo are similar in price, around $900 for a 1.65 hp. The TriStar is $1100 for a 1.85 hp. Can you give me some info on the differences? I'm looking at replacing an old StaRite 1.5 hp and don't have an automation system.

Browsing through Doheny's catalog, I see Hayward Super Pump VS, MaxFlo VS and TriStar VS. The Super Pump and MaxFlo are similar in price, around $900 for a 1.65 hp. The TriStar is $1100 for a 1.85 hp. Can you give me some info on the differences? I'm looking at replacing an old StaRite 1.5 hp and don't have an automation system.

Not a lot of difference. It is likely any of them will work fine for you. Each has a different pump basket design. TriStar design is the most energy and hydraulic efficient.

Not particularly keen on Hayward, just noticed them in one of the zillion Doheny catalogs I've gotten in the mail. There's also a Doheny's brand VS at a really cheap price (1.5hp $419, 3hp $547). Only has 3 speeds, though, and I'd wonder who makes it. What's the difference between Pentair SuperFlo and IntelliFlo? The price difference is pretty big...

Depending on how old VS your pump is you may have an option to just replace the motor with a 3rd party VS motor. Since you don't have a budget issue this isn't really your best choice. But it is a great option for pumps less than 10 years old and tight budget. They use digital inputs plus an internal timer for control so it's easy to use with almost any control. Your pump won't be perfectly matched to the motor but you'll get 90% of the VS benefit for a lot less money. It will work with your existing Hayward automation and you can use the spa valve signals to go to high speed when you switch to spa mode. Or you can very likely make remote speed changes if you have a couple spare channels.

If you have no budget and just want the Cadillac that you won't need to mess with for a very long time switch to Pentair Intellicenter automation and a Pentair Intelliflo pump. Best in class for both in my opinion. I upgraded to the Intellicenter about 6 months ago. Fantastic system and I'm very happy with that choice... unfortunately that left me $ challenged for the pump so I went the cheapo motor route above. I got more of the benefit by up-sizing the impeller. We have experts that can help you with that.

I assume based on previous posts that you're going DIY. If that's the case I'd avoid Jandy. They make pretty good equipment but cut your warranty to zero.

Please keep us posted on your choice and any other questions you may have.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.