CapMReynolds

Aug 17, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just like @saltychick (this thread, also had more rain than normal in Arizona), my pool pump stopped working, and I know this because as soon as my pump kicked in (the switch is on my bedroom wall) at 2am, there was some noises then one final 'clunk'. By the time i got dressed and got outside, the pump wasn't going. I could smell something out there but then our neighbours were burning in their fireplaces during the night. Anyways I tried to turn off the automatic switch but couldn't, so I removed the start/stop things and then turned it off, then turned off the motor at the main switch near my pump. Right away I can tell the smell was coming from the pump, plus there was a little smoke... so that's the end of that.

A little history, I have been having issues for a while where my pool vacuum was not operating normally. In the past it was going around the pool and up the sides like it is competing in the F1 Championship. In the last year, it has been more like completing in a zimmer-frame race. One person said I may have it too powerful on just vacuum so I would have to move it so it will take it from the skimmer too... but I have never had to do this before... anyways I have been focusing on the vacuum because it has been needing parts (wheels on the a-frame, etc) and the hoses because they have been twisted so much.

I also noticed when the pump starts, there were some air coming out of the outlets. I have been changing the o-rings and the ring on the basket/filter. I have been noticing some water in between the motor and the casing, and there were some limescale too, but it was hard for me to determine if the water was coming from somewhere else. I am guessing now it was the pump that was leaking and I didn't get to it in time.

So now I need to get a new pump... and I was wondering do I need to get the whole setup, or can I just get the motor?

1577579701232.png

If I have to replace it all, then I will have to cut it off...... I would make that connection on the right with a unison connection for easy removal next time, if it can be done...

And the biggest question, which pump should I get? I bought the house with the pool as is so the pump is old. I see pumps only and the whole thing for about $500... but then I have seen just the pump for about $200...

Sorry for the long post and any advice would be appreciated!

Oh, I have about 25/28K gallon pool, with sand filter.

I'm so sorry to hear this, and yes sounds just like our situation. Once the electrical guy came over and took it apart the burned up area was very evident. He determined there had been a leak for some time . We have a salt system and had not had this problem, but liner problems, light not working, etc. after only 2 years of operation. However, as I stated way back when, our installation was not done correctly and we no longer even call the guy that restored our pool because he will not answer or return messages! We are only replacing what needs to be and not entire pump because we can't afford it. The electrician helped us locate parts with good reviews that were not as expensive, so we are going with that. My husband especially, reminds me often we should have just filled the pool we inherited with purchase of our house in with dirt...

Just like @saltychick (this thread, also had more rain than normal in Arizona), my pool pump stopped working, and I know this because as soon as my pump kicked in (the switch is on my bedroom wall) at 2am, there was some noises then one final 'clunk'. By the time i got dressed and got outside, the pump wasn't going. I could smell something out there but then our neighbours were burning in their fireplaces during the night. Anyways I tried to turn off the automatic switch but couldn't, so I removed the start/stop things and then turned it off, then turned off the motor at the main switch near my pump. Right away I can tell the smell was coming from the pump, plus there was a little smoke... so that's the end of that.

A little history, I have been having issues for a while where my pool vacuum was not operating normally. In the past it was going around the pool and up the sides like it is competing in the F1 Championship. In the last year, it has been more like completing in a zimmer-frame race. One person said I may have it too powerful on just vacuum so I would have to move it so it will take it from the skimmer too... but I have never had to do this before... anyways I have been focusing on the vacuum because it has been needing parts (wheels on the a-frame, etc) and the hoses because they have been twisted so much.

I also noticed when the pump starts, there were some air coming out of the outlets. I have been changing the o-rings and the ring on the basket/filter. I have been noticing some water in between the motor and the casing, and there were some limescale too, but it was hard for me to determine if the water was coming from somewhere else. I am guessing now it was the pump that was leaking and I didn't get to it in time.

So now I need to get a new pump... and I was wondering do I need to get the whole setup, or can I just get the motor?

View attachment 124346

If I have to replace it all, then I will have to cut it off...... I would make that connection on the right with a unison connection for easy removal next time, if it can be done...

And the biggest question, which pump should I get? I bought the house with the pool as is so the pump is old. I see pumps only and the whole thing for about $500... but then I have seen just the pump for about $200...

Sorry for the long post and any advice would be appreciated!

Oh, I have about 25/28K gallon pool, with sand filter.
Also looks like you have the exact same pump we do!

@saltychick You can tell your husband that I am not sure why you wouldn't want a pool in GA... I remember the hot days when I lived in Augusta... lol

I may just bite the bullet and do a new pump, as apparently in AZ we are following CA law and I can only get a variable speed through my local pool store , and installed. At least it will help with the electric costs (and I have solar too to help).

Let me know how yours go, and maybe I will change my mind and try a repair.

Last edited:
Recommend you give these guys a call Perrys Pool Pump | and Electric Motor Repair they rebuild and sell pool motors and I'm sure they would be able to recommend a motor replacement. They helped me by answering a question I had as I was rebuilding my AO Smith motor when the manufacturer could not answer my question. I successfully replaced the bearings in my motor, but if your motor burnt out as you say it has, then you need a new motor, but you may not need a new pump. If you get a good quality rebuilt motor at an affordable price ($100) then you can go from there and diagnose and determine if you have any leaks in the system and where those leaks are. Pumps are expensive and I found that, like a lot of auto mechanics and HVAC guys, pool repair companies sometimes just want to sell you a new pump when it's not necessary. Give Perry's a call and see if they give you good advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.