Need a new filter and swg

Jun 27, 2016
Georgia
I'm getting ready to set up out summer waves pool for the summer. I want to first upgrade to a sand filter and a new swg, last summer I ran an intex 2500gph cartridge filter and the summer waves swg. It worked, but I want to try to cut down on run time since I think running these all night contributed to higher power bills, I had to run them for about 10 hours to get decent chlorine levels in 90-100 degree weather. I still had to dose with bleach sometimes to give it a boost. I was able to manage this all summer and never had any water issues.

I was thinking of going with the largest intex sand filter and their biggest swg. Would this help with my problems? Are there any cheaper, reliable sand filters on the mark with a dual speed pump?

Forgot to mention, my pool is around 5000 gallons, maybe 15x48.

Thanks everyone!

Run time is only really important for the SWG. Is the SWG set to 100% or full output? Do you know how much chlorine the SWG outputs each day or hour?

A new filter or pump wont really help with the run time requirements but a multi-speed pump can help with energy use.

Just looked back at the manual, it says maximum is 5.5gr/hour and 17hrs is an estimated run time for my pool. Stabilizer was always tested and in range using the Leslie's pool test kit and pool math if anything was added. Heres a link to the unit I have. Also, this unit only has a timer and a boost setting, no real output adjustment.

That unit is adding about 0.29 ppm/hr. In most cases, you shouldn't need more than 2 ppm/day which is about 7 hours of run time. This is consistent with your 10 hour run time.

Ok, just trying to cover all the bases. So I think a larger SWG might be helpful to allow you to have shorter run times.

They each have advantages and disadvantages to both. I prefer cartridges. I clean it once per year and it does a good job of cleaning. However if you have one that is too small, they can be a pain when cleaning too often. Sand filters use more water for cleaning and they don't filter as well. Pick your poison.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The sand filter will absolutely make a difference over that cartridge filter (they suck)! & get the biggest intex one u can afford- the intex ones aren’t too expensive & mine had a timer on it which i liked also I would advise against the swg/filter all in one version (not sure if they still make it anyway) i have 2 intex swg (newer versions) 1 big & 1 small on my 26,000 gal pool - they do fine - I think the small is for up to 7k gal & the large is up to 15k gal. I will be replacing my small with a large when it dies - I already had it so I kept using it. If u get one be sure & get a reliable salt reading & don’t go over 2800 ppm it will throw alarms & not function . Also the intex swg’s & sand filter/pumps come on every day at whatever time u push the button so u turn on filter & set the timer then turn on the swg & you’re all set - looks like amazon is your best bet for finding either of them right now

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.