Need a little help troubleshooting this

Oct 27, 2016
Denton, TX
My pool pump basket is not filling with water and the jets have barely any flow. The filter will start at 18 psi but will drop to 12 after running the pump for ~30 minutes. I have 2 skimmers and the main. No matter which ones I turn off the flow doesn’t change…it doesn’t get better or worse. The pool does seem to be losing more water than it should be, but not an insane amount.

I had a pool repairman out today, and he believes it’s a leak somewhere, and asked me to schedule leak detection. No clue how I’m going to get the water clean and clear for leak detection with such little water movement. It’s already turning green after a few days of low flow. I also just think it’s weird that no matter which valve I close, or combination of, I don’t get more pressure…how could I have leaks in all three drains all of a sudden…so I’m wondering if it’s a blockage right at the pump? Everything was fine until a week ago 🤷🏻‍♀️ Just backwashed two weeks ago.

Attachments

• E9860F30-C580-45B9-9170-55B566BC437E.jpeg
    E9860F30-C580-45B9-9170-55B566BC437E.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 11
J,

Sounds like your filter is very dirty. When was the last time it was opened and cleaned??

As @vtpools suggested above, putting your system into recirculate, will bypass the filter. If you have good flow, when in recirculate, then your filter is the problem.

A leak is not going to cause poor water flow.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Jtlkpool
Have you cleaned and lubed the pump basket o-ring and its mating surfaces?
J,

Sounds like your filter is very dirty. When was the last time it was opened and cleaned??

As @vtpools suggested above, putting your system into recirculate, will bypass the filter. If you have good flow, when in recirculate, then your filter is the problem.

A leak is not going to cause poor water flow.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Filter hasn’t been cleaned in ~4 months. Going to clean that next week! Also, we found a bunch of leaves in the pump basket. Cleaned the leaves out and it’s a lot better now. I really think leaves in the basket and dirty filter are the problem. So easy, and neither my husband or I or the pool repairman thought to check these basic things…I blame brain fog because we were sick all week with the stomach flu, and this is our first year with this type of pool so we went into a panic when it started doing something out of the ordinary. Seems a bunch of panic for nothing. I do think we’re losing a bit more water than usual and there are some small leaks in the pool, but doesn’t seem to be anything catastrophic.

Today's PSA- any time you lose use of the pump/filter keep the free chlorine level up in your pool by adding liquid chlorine and brushing it all around daily. You'll lose a bit of sparkle without the filter, but you shouldn't let algae have a chance to move in.

Maddie ⛳ Alrighty! Rory made the cut! :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.