Need a filter

JimMarshall

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2017
Oil City PA
I need to replace my cartridge filter.
Considering switching to sand. Is this a horrible idea? I just despise the hour plus it takes me to disassemble my housing, hose out my cartridge, reassemble, etc.

What size of a filter should I be shopping for? Local pool store has a 300 lb Hayward in stock. Overkill I’m sure but I’d rather have way too big than way too small. Is pump size a factor?
Help please.

Jim, ask a Ford owner about Chevy or vise-versa and what do they say? Boooooooo! Same with filter types. Overall, sand owners love their filters (cleaning convenience for sure) until something goes bad like a lateral or MPV/spider gasket. Not that often perhaps, but it happens. DE owners have their crosses to bare as well. Cart filters, well, sure, some disassembly required. Not too many moving parts to go bad after that though. It's going to be a personal choice more than anything IMO. Whichever way you go, be prepared for the plumbing and union fittings required to get it all back together.

All I can offer is my experience. I switched from an somewhat small cartridge to an oversized sand filter and I am really happy with it. No clarity issues, super easy backwash, and no problems after a few years with anything breaking. Cleaning is so simple, heck today I cleaned just because the pool was overflowing after getting a couple inches of rain. Was nice knowing that at least some of the water I had to dump was used for a good cause.

Would I go back to cartridge? No, I don't think I would even if it was oversized and only had to be cleaned a couple times a year. Would I get a DE filter? Not a chance, the minor clarity improvement wouldn't be worth the trouble to me. But like Pat said, it's a personal choice and I don't begrudge anyone for disagreeing with me regarding their own pool.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Pretty much any filter that can handle 100+ GPM. But if you limit the RPM/GPM of the pump, you can pretty much go with any filter. You just need to match the maximum flow rate set with the filter's recommended maximum flow rate.

Forgot to mention, you don't want flow rates to exceed 20 GPM/sq-ft but lower flow rate is always better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.