Need a cover pump recommendation

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
When I had a retractable cover installed they gave me a Little Giant cover pump (model APCP-1700) and it has been nothing but trouble. Many times after a rain the pump will be operating but no water comes out. Usually I can give the hose a shake and after a few seconds the water will start to gush. If I don’t do that, the pump will run for hours but do nothing.

The company tells me to remove the cover and clean out a tiny, tiny hole on the inside that gets clogged. There are 5 hard-to-reach screws that I have to remove (with a long shaft Phillips screwdriver I could only get online) to get the cover off, and there is no way to easily remove debris from the hole.

I’m tired of dealing with this and not being able to rely on it to work if I go out of town for a few days. Has anyone else had this problem, and can anyone recommend a cover pump that they’ve found to be reliable?

ed81e1e834cf1772b28214283433b24f.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have an older version of this guy
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-0-33-HP-Aluminum-Submersible-Sump-Pump/3223771

For years I had a little giant but it died at some point, so I replaced with this one.

I had to buy an "adapter" from the plumbing section, and with the adapter I can use the hose from my shop vac on the pump.
Its a little short, so limits where you can put the pump, but with a shop vac hose, my pump can move LOTS of water in a very short time. If my cover has a lot of water from a heavy rain, I have to stop the pump after a few minutes to let my drainage system catch up.

The little giant would take hours to drain my cover.

Randy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.