Natural Pools

It's actually a little worse than I described (but I was pretty close, I must say). Since you can't guarantee sanitized water (since you wouldn't use chlorine), you have to test the water for a couple of nasties. Not all the possible nasties, just a couple. They figure if you find one, then that means there's poop in the pool, so other nasties are likely present, too. You then have to stop using the pool until your "natural filter" can overcome the bacteria. You can't "spot sanitize" when you find a problem, because that'll kill the natural filter mechanism that might have taken months to develop. But this testing MO doesn't safeguard against nasties in the pool that are not being tested for!! And how often would one test? How does one even perform that test? You going to send your pool water to a lab every day? Every week? Every other week? What happens when a raccoon poops in your pond, under a lily pad, the day after you sampled for the test? Swim with his "gift" for two weeks until you test again?

So, like I said, if you're the only one that ever goes into the pool (or maybe just your family), and you're not sick, then maybe you can roll those dice. But how are you going to keep animals out of a natural pool? How are you going to know if they're in there, or have been in there?

Ya got yer people pond. And ya got yer critter pond. Never the twain shall meet...

I hung a towel into my pool so the frogs and other critters could get out. Seemed to work except for the BIG frog that would show up about once a week. He required a net to get him to go back into the fish pond.​

Anything to be done to encourage a frog to stay out of the pool and only use the fish pond?

My friend has a turtle pond as well as a pool. After the pool was installed she noticed frogs getting stuck in there so I told her to get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Frog-Log-FL1/dp/B00F54612C She says it works great! For your frog pond if you put some water plants in it and don't circulate the water it will attract the bugs that attract frogs. They will probably stay out of the pool and in the pond full of snacks.

Snacks! Of course. Same way I get my kids out of the pool!! ;)

So basically you make it hard for them to get into your pool, and easy to get out. Then make their pool more attractive to them. Bugs, good. Access, easy. Place to hide. What else do frogs like in a pond?

Tom, I'm sorry I muddied up your dreams of a natural pool for you to swim along with the frogs! I really am. It's a fun idea! I think Dirk is right in that it will give you a special place for the frogs in your landscaping. And actually, the frogs might appreciate it more if it's their own bit of heaven on earth!

Donald, you're making it beautifully clear that a 'natural backyard pool' made by the home owner is defintely not a trouble free pool! And TFPC is next to impossible on that kind of pool.

Tom, I hope realize, we will need lots of pictures!!!!

And for others reading this thread and haven't seen Tom's related thread, Frogs - I like the frogs, I'm posting again below the link for the Frog Logs I really enjoy using.

Amazon.com: Swimline 70200SL FrogLog Critter Saving Escape Ramp: Toys Games

- - - Updated - - -

Zea, you beat me to it on the frog logs while I was typing! Sorry for the duplication! Your friend is right, they work beautifully!!!

Tom, I'm sorry I muddied up your dreams of a natural pool for you to swim along with the frogs! I really am. It's a fun idea! I think Dirk is right in that it will give you a special place for the frogs in your landscaping. And actually, the frogs might appreciate it more if it's their own bit of heaven on earth!

Suz, I like to think we didn't actually mess with his dream-pool plans, rather we just pointed out that a lot of other forces might! Better to know that now, right? Some waterborne nasties might just give you a tummy ache, but others can put you down for months (or worse).

I hope it doesn't discourage him to create his frog sanctuary. That would be the coolest thing ever! I'm imagining a water feature very close to the pool, kind of a visual extension of it. Lilly pads and reeds and water plants, rocks and logs and mini islands. So that you could swim along it, just not in it. And from the deck or house it would look a bit like the pool and pond are one.

OK, first I talk him out of it, now I'm building it for him!! ;)

Keep on it, Tom. We're with you, if vicariously. It's too dry where I live for me to do it...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This would not be cheaper than a regular pool. They are more complex than they seem. There are some amazing natural pools in Europe that have been going many years but more expensive and difficult to setup correctly. The plus side is you have a pool that blends into the environment and doesn't look like a pool. I like the look of a pool. If I lived in the country and had a massive amount of land and money it would be fun.

Is it just me or do natural pools always seem to have a green tint to them?

In today's world of flesh-eating this and bacteria resistant that, I can't think of a single good reason to try and cross a pool with a pond. Saving frogs from pool death doesn't rise to the level of a good reason for me (I realize that varies by person) but at some point you have to prioritize the safety of humans above others. The opposite approach is a long slow spiral in the wrong direction (from the human perspective at least). The goal (I feel) is to be as friendly as possible to the "others" but not at the risk/detriment of the humans. The safest route for all involved is no pool. But few of us here have chosen that approach so we are back to the priority issue.

Pool.

Pond.

They don't belong in the same paragraph for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.