Oklahoma City, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Are getting to be astronomical! I didn't really notice the increase in costs as the only NG we use is for the stove and pool heater. I did use the pool heater a couple times last month and noticed the bill was a little higher than I thought it would have been. Well, I pulled up the statement and see that the current rate is $5.93 per dekatherm whereas a year ago, it was $2.96...wow...DOUBLE THE PRICE...that is one helluva difference. Had this been the rate during the freeze (where I used 33 dekatherms), the bill would have been nearly $100 more. So, there may not be much "hot tubbing" the pool this winter.

All the markets have their own specific factors of course but they usually tie in together in the end. If one goes high, everything else is usually right behind it, from natural gas, to electric to cords of wood. When petroleum (in this instance home heating oil) was through the roof after Katrina, electric, NG and split wood went up accordingly as everybody looked for alternatives. We paid through the nose for a long time across the board.

Ive been noticing the rise at the gas pumps lately and don’t like the feeling of what’s coming. :ROFLMAO:

The hurricane Ida did some damage in the Gulf. Repair of that may or may not happen with the current moratorium on permits from the Federal Govt. New drilling on Federal lands is slowing as permits run out.

Natural Gas is not as transportable, so pricing can be more regional (world wise). Also pipeline rebuild/repair restrictions in the US (real or threatened) drives costs up.

Reactions: Newdude
And they are paying for all the crazzy expensive rates during the freeze by passing them on to the customers.. Here is the crazzy part, all the companies involved did what they had to do to get gas and electricity to the customers/us as fast as possible.. that cost MAJOR money... it sucks but they paid those prices for us to live through that freeze..

Are getting to be astronomical! I didn't really notice the increase in costs as the only NG we use is for the stove and pool heater. I did use the pool heater a couple times last month and noticed the bill was a little higher than I thought it would have been. Well, I pulled up the statement and see that the current rate is $5.93 per dekatherm whereas a year ago, it was $2.96...wow...DOUBLE THE PRICE...that is one helluva difference. Had this been the rate during the freeze (where I used 33 dekatherms), the bill would have been nearly $100 more. So, there may not be much "hot tubbing" the pool this winter.

I'm not familiar with dekatherm as a unit of measure, but Mr. Internet says that 1 dekatherm is equivalent to 1,000 cubic feet of gas. My gas bill is per 100 cubic feet of gas (abbreviated CCF). My bill for last month, after adding up all eight lines of charges, fees, taxes and adjustments, totaled $40.62 for "Adjusted" 29 CCF, or 2,900 cubic feet, which translates to 2.9 dekatherms by my calculation. FWIW, we have a gas cooktop, home water heaters, furnace (not used last month), pool heater, and a natural gas standby generator which runs for 25 minutes every Wednesday at noon. We use the pool heater two or three times a week, primarily to heat the spa water.

Spoiler alert. Our current Washington D.C. government has declared war on natural gas, so it's not likely to get less expensive.

And they are paying for all the crazzy expensive rates during the freeze by passing them on to the customers.. Here is the crazzy part, all the companies involved did what they had to do to get gas and electricity to the customers/us as fast as possible.. that cost MAJOR money... it sucks but they paid those prices for us to live through that freeze..
Except in these parts, they are still figuring out to pass that cost to us. Primary plan is a muni bond which will cost the "average" homeowner an additional $4/mo for the next...well, probably forever.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Prices up 4x here and still going - Not looking forward to my next bill as I use the heater even in the summer some weeks and every time we want to swim now we’re into the fall. To make matters worse I was on a fixed rate deal but my energy company went pop as they hadn’t hedged the wholesale price so I’m on the standard (high) rate with another supplier now

• Wow
Reactions: Newdude
Prices up 4x here and still going - Not looking forward to my next bill as I use the heater even in the summer some weeks and every time we want to swim now we’re into the fall. To make matters worse I was on a fixed rate deal but my energy company went pop as they hadn’t hedged the wholesale price so I’m on the standard (high) rate with another supplier now
Oof. Are you still in the UK? If so, I am so sorry to hear of your struggles with petrol. What a gaggle!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.