Name that booster pump sound

DirtyPoolz

May 18, 2020
Northern VA
I replaced this booster last year. It is a Pentair LA-MS05. It was whisper quiet for almost a year.

In the last day or so its started making an ugly sound. I noticed the the flex tube on the top had bubbled by the pump. The bubble in the flexible pvc was restricting water flow. I do not know how long it was there. I cut out the bad section and reconnected it. That did not fix the sound. There is still a good amount of pressure pushing the polaris around.

Here is a link to a video I took. I hope this is ok and people can see it.

Sounds like a bad bearing to me.

The bubble in the flex tube restricting water may have had the pump run dry for a while and overheat and damage itself.

Let's get some other votes from @Jimrahbe @JamesW @mas985

Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure it was the bearings. Do the bearings have to be replaced now? Will they do more damage to the pump? Or is it a matter of tolerance to the annoying sound?

Any videos on the Boost Rite(LA-MS05 ) repair? Or any booster pump bearing replacement? Its a little newer, I wasnt seeing a ton of info online.

I think its a matter of taking it apart and finding out what bearings it needs. Dont think I need the entire repair kit right?

Sounds like bearings to me as well. They don't sound too bad at this point but you never know how fast they will decline. There is no concern about waiting as the bearings have no effect on the wet end. However, should they fail, the motor will stop running and you will be out a pump but since it is a booster, it probably isn't a big deal.

You can probably find the bearings online if you know the part number. This video is not for your pump but it will give you an idea on how to do it.

If you can find a motor shop in your area, they will do it for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.