Cen California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello, I am probably posting in the incorrect thread, not sure which one would be better.

I need help to get rid of surface debris, I can’t really tell what it is.

Here is a picture from last night and this morning.

Some areas look like oily but with debris.

You can’t not see it unless close up to the water right now.

Attachments

• IMG_9527.jpeg
    IMG_9527.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9532.jpeg
    IMG_9532.jpeg
    533.2 KB · Views: 25
Have you recently added anything to the pool?
Is this debris on other things outdoors like patio furniture, the deck, cars?
What are your most recent test results?
Fc
Cc
Ph
Ta
Ch
Cya
Salt

Have you recently added anything to the pool?
Is this debris on other things outdoors like patio furniture, the deck, cars?
What are your most recent test results?
Fc
Cc
Ph
Ta
Ch
Cya
Salt
Fc -3
Cc-0
Ph-7.7
Ta-100
Ch-275-300 always have a hard time testing it for accuracy
Cya- not sure, based on my math should be 30 but it’s not testing at 30, maybe 25ish
Salt- don’t know, should be 0, still in startup phase haven’t converted yet.

Nothing new out back that wasn’t there before and last time swimming was on Sunday which the debris were there as well. I was running my pump low at 700 24/7 and when I add chemicals i bump it to 1500 for a few hrs. Last night I bumped it to 2500 and forgot I left it on and shut it off 3 hours ago.

Only chemicals I use is liquid chlorine and Muriatic acid, same brand since the start.

Have you been brushing daily? May be plaster dust? Also possible that it’s debris from some flowering tree/cotton wood tree.
Is this a new house where you may not be familiar with the local foliage?
What type of filter do you have?
700 rpm seems kinda low for effective skimming but ymmv. You’ll definitely need to bump that up when the swg goes into service to satisfy the flow switch. Probably around 1200 or so.

Oily - perhaps sunscreen residue. Debris could be dust - have you mowed the yard recently? Had a lot of wind?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Have you been brushing daily? May be plaster dust? Also possible that it’s debris from some flowering tree/cotton wood tree.
Is this a new house where you may not be familiar with the local foliage?
What type of filter do you have?
700 rpm seems kinda low for effective skimming but ymmv. You’ll definitely need to bump that up when the swg goes into service to satisfy the flow switch. Probably around 1200 or so.
I brush twice a day, I don’t think it’s plaster dust. I haven’t had an issue with dust.

There’s tress further away that wind blows in my direction, maybe pollen of some sort. My neighbor has some bushes, that’s about it. Those blow in my pool.

Clean and clear 420 filter. I need to figure out pump settings and I agree it’s low but I run it 24/7 when I don’t need to.

Oily - perhaps sunscreen residue. Debris could be dust - have you mowed the yard recently? Had a lot of wind?
We don’t swim much, no sunscreen. The only thing of oily could be the products in our hair.

No grass in the backyard other than pulling some weeds. Wind is normal nothing abnormal lately.

I read about the scum bug, would that help? If it was sunscreen or oil substance would that break down over time? Maybe it’s poke as I stated above. Here is another picture today which is hard to see.

Attachments

• IMG_9539.jpeg
    IMG_9539.jpeg
    703.2 KB · Views: 4
I brush twice a day, I don’t think it’s plaster dust. I haven’t had an issue with dust.

There’s tress further away that wind blows in my direction, maybe pollen of some sort. My neighbor has some bushes, that’s about it. Those blow in my pool.

Clean and clear 420 filter. I need to figure out pump settings and I agree it’s low but I run it 24/7 when I don’t need to.
Its not about the amount of time persay but more about whether you are getting effective skimming action relative to the amount of debris in the pool.
Bump it up a little & see if it helps. Not sure what your utility rates are but it’s likely only pennies more per day to run at a higher rpm (say, 1100 or so)
As I mentioned your swg will require you to run it higher anyway or the flow switch will not be satisfied.

The white substance seems to consist of round particles. Real hard to tell from the photos, but to me it looks like styrofoam. Any pool floats in the pool? Check the weir (skimmer) door. See if the styrofoam inside may be breaking down.

Its not about the amount of time persay but more about whether you are getting effective skimming action relative to the amount of debris in the pool.
Bump it up a little & see if it helps. Not sure what your utility rates are but it’s likely only pennies more per day to run at a higher rpm (say, 1100 or so)
As I mentioned your swg will require you to run it higher anyway or the flow switch will not be satisfied.
It did help , I left it at 1500. You were probably right of the lower rpm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The white substance seems to consist of round particles. Real hard to tell from the photos, but to me it looks like styrofoam. Any pool floats in the pool? Check the weir (skimmer) door. See if the styrofoam inside may be breaking down.
I think it’s debris from pollen but not sure the oily looking stuff but I did pump the rpm and it helped!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.