Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi,

Gunite 20x40 salt pool

My pool failed the bucket test. Long story short, I drained the pool to just below the skimmer inlets and shut off all three suction valves (two skimmers and one drain). One skimmer holds water, the other does not. I poured water into the skimmer that doesn't hold and watched it empty within five minutes. The skimmers do not have the main drain returns so it's just one line out each. At this point I can presume that the leak is in the suction line from that one skimmer. What doesn't make sense to me is that the pump never loses prime or pulls air. I can confirm as the lid window on the pump was solid water while running before I lowered the water level to check this. Not a single bubble, no dirty water, nothing. Do you think the leak is in that skimmer line or could something else be at play here?

Thank you.

Do the skimmer lines both run all of the way to the pump area, or do they join before they get there?

Did the water empty out of the pipe leading out of the bottom of the skimmer, or did that stay filled?

It’s not impossible for a suction side leak to be sealed while the pump is running, which could explain your symptoms.

Is the water still low, or have you refilled?

Pat,

Tell us what you mean by "the skimmer does not hold water".. Are you filling the entire area that the basket sits in, or just the suction pipe?

Does the water in the suction pipe drain down, or just the water in the skimmer itself?

Pics would be great.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You guys have no idea how grateful I am for these quick responses. Thank you. I found the leak. There has always (since I bought the house in 2019) been a weird dimple in the ground between the questionable skimmer and the equipment pad. I had always assumed that at one point perhaps a dead bush was removed from there. I put my foot on it and pressed and it sank about 3". Grabbed the shovel and gently dug about 2' down and found the suction line. I refilled the skimmer and watched the hole...sure enough it filled with water before my eyes. Wallet disaster averted.

JohnT

Do the skimmer lines both run all of the way to the pump area, or do they join before they get there?
I assume not as there is a valve shut off for both skimmers

Did the water empty out of the pipe leading out of the bottom of the skimmer, or did that stay filled?
Water emptied in the one skimmer before my eyes

It’s not impossible for a suction side leak to be sealed while the pump is running, which could explain your symptoms.
I think this is correct. the suction must have closed the leak

Jimrahbe

Tell us what you mean by "the skimmer does not hold water".. Are you filling the entire area that the basket sits in, or just the suction pipe?
I filled it up to the basket lip and watched it drain.

Does the water in the suction pipe drain down, or just the water in the skimmer itself?
The whole pipe emptied

Attachments

• image1 (4).jpeg
    image1 (4).jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 24
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 24
  • image0 (5).jpeg
    image0 (5).jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 24
Appreciate that Jim. Not too shabby for a pool newbie if I do say so myself:cool:. I have to ask this. I'm going to call the pool service to come and do the repair. Do you think I should plug the skimmer line, refill the pool, and throw the solar cover on it then run it off the 2nd skimmer for now? I managed to pull the cover off this season to see clear water, hate for it to turn green while I wait for them to come out.

Attachments

• IMG_4242.jpg
    IMG_4242.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4237.jpg
    IMG_4237.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Jimrahbe
Do you think I should plug the skimmer line, refill the pool

Pat,

That would make sense to me. Might not be a problem if the pool company is coming tomorrow, but if it will take several days, you want to keep your pool running.

I'd want to keep the FC up while you wait.

Your backyard, looks just like mine... except where you have trees, I have neighbors. :mrgreen:

Jim R.

Yeah it was shocked two days ago. Haven't checked the levels today but I'm sure the FC is about to vanish. I just put another gallon of chlorine in it. I'll see what they say tomorrow and start refilling it. Thanks much for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.