Mysterious chlorine loss... SLAM even though not failing entrance criteria?

Of course not. I only use the example to illustrate a point about sunscreen. I don’t think it is emphasized enough in this forum. People are always talking about algae, but I think sunscreen plays a bigger role than we realize.

P.S. it was a dang fun party. 😛
Have u ever tried pig mats? With your small volume they would probably be quite useful to u for high bather load situations.
New Pig Oil Absorbing Mat Pad, 50-Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQDKKF...abc_HJ885K1TWSX5KX4WW088?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Have u ever tried pig mats? With your small volume they would probably be quite useful to u for high bather load situations.
New Pig Oil Absorbing Mat Pad, 50-Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQDKKF...abc_HJ885K1TWSX5KX4WW088?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Would those work in my 9’x15’ pool? I’m guessing they might be a bit awkward.

Attachments

• 2A079F9E-C5E3-47AA-A5BA-31798ED36F4D.jpeg
    2A079F9E-C5E3-47AA-A5BA-31798ED36F4D.jpeg
    798.7 KB · Views: 3
Good idea. I was thinking that or throwing 4-5 scum stars in the skimmer and switching them out every hour.
I like my rolachem scum bug - the other shapes/brands have never done well for me. I may get some pigmats myself for the shop - dual purpose 🤩

Reactions: crimson avenger
Checking in:
1 week later and the pool is still crystal clear! Been following FC/CYA recommendations and testing daily.
I also removed the Nature2 Express mineralizer.

I needed to take my water in to the PB to get checked monthly to maintain my warranty, so just for fun, here are their test results vs mine.
When they asked if I'm having any problems, I said "only that the water is too clear and beautiful." Wouldn't you know, they have a potion to fix that! :LOL:

My results / Their results:
FC: 9.0 / 9.2
CC: 0.0 / 0.0
pH: 8.0 / 8.1 (They were my first stop on the way to Ace Hardware to get muriatic acid)
TA: 175 / 136
CH: 450 / 266
CYA: 40 / 46

(FWIW, they also report TDS = 3200, Phosphates: 84, CSI: "High", Optimizer: 3 (is this bromates? Who knows. The guy running the test certainly didn't.))

In addition to acid, they recommended adding Scale Inhibitor potion ($22)... I asked them what's in it, and took a look at the bottle... Unsurprisingly the ingredients aren't listed... Of course, I won't be adding that, but was curious what they'd say. (I'll rely on good old rain water for dilution since my fill water is TA=425, CH=350, not that I'm worried too much about CSI in my vinyl pool anyway... just want to prolong the life of the copper heat-exchanger).

To their credit, they were fine with the FC level, even though their printout recommends using "Chem-out" to reduce it (!!!).

I'm pleased that the PB is somewhat more honest/educated than that well-known national-chain pool store... but I know an even better way: TFP!

Checking in:
1 week later and the pool is still crystal clear! Been following FC/CYA recommendations and testing daily.
I also removed the Nature2 Express mineralizer.

I needed to take my water in to the PB to get checked monthly to maintain my warranty, so just for fun, here are their test results vs mine.
When they asked if I'm having any problems, I said "only that the water is too clear and beautiful." Wouldn't you know, they have a potion to fix that! :LOL:

My results / Their results:
FC: 9.0 / 9.2
CC: 0.0 / 0.0
pH: 8.0 / 8.1 (They were my first stop on the way to Ace Hardware to get muriatic acid)
TA: 175 / 136
CH: 450 / 266
CYA: 40 / 46

(FWIW, they also report TDS = 3200, Phosphates: 84, CSI: "High", Optimizer: 3 (is this bromates? Who knows. The guy running the test certainly didn't.))

In addition to acid, they recommended adding Scale Inhibitor potion ($22)... I asked them what's in it, and took a look at the bottle... Unsurprisingly the ingredients aren't listed... Of course, I won't be adding that, but was curious what they'd say. (I'll rely on good old rain water for dilution since my fill water is TA=425, CH=350, not that I'm worried too much about CSI in my vinyl pool anyway... just want to prolong the life of the copper heat-exchanger).

To their credit, they were fine with the FC level, even though their printout recommends using "Chem-out" to reduce it (!!!).

I'm pleased that the PB is somewhat more honest/educated than that well-known national-chain pool store... but I know an even better way: TFP!

“Optimizer” is borates (expensive borates 😁). 👍

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.