My WaterGuru Sense testing

So my WaterGuru did run a test today, though at 1:32pm instead of at 12:00pm as I set it. Not the end of the world, but weird.

Since I didn't have a result from it and the pool was open and being used, I did my own K-1000 run through. FC was 5 or just over; pH was probably 7.5 (I have the hardest time with those colors, another reason for wanting this unit!) This test was done around 3:15pm, almost 2 hours after the WaterGuru did its thing. WaterGuru reports FC of 2.7 and pH of 7.6. I doubt with the sun beating on the pool and a few kids in it (Even with the SWG running) the FC raised up over 2 PPM.

I'll continue to keep an eye on it. If I can get an accurate time of when the WaterGuru will run, I'll do an actual TF-100 test around then.

I think the FC in the WG might test a bit low as it’s getting the skimmed water off the top. Which works for me - better to test low than test high.

So I ran a drop test within minutes of the WG - it's pretty close actually. I think close enough.

But then yesterday - no reading. Said water flow was too low. Which makes no sense since the very first test the unit did was with no flow. Obviously I don't want it making readings without flow, but - flow sensor seems to be a problem.

I found that even though I set the unit to take a test daily at 12:00pm, it decided it knew better and changed to 1:20pm. Either way, pump runs from 11am to 6pm. But no test for low flow. Yet chart on my phone shows flow.

I'm also not getting alerts on my phone from this thing. I have the app AND the phone both set to allow alerts. But nothing. I didn't know I didn't get a reading until I manually checked the app.

So far - not impressed.

I'm getting alerts. It might be a notification issue.

Low flow for me usually means the skimmer sock was full of crud.

It does try once to adjust to your flow after being in the water for a day or two. Or, if you tell it to, by hitting the "Rescan Pump" button on the Flow & Measure Time screen. I re-set it once it did that and it's measuring at 6pm like it should be.

Is the cartridge out perhaps? That is pretty strange. I would contact their help people and see if they have any advice. They were pretty helpful when I got a hold of them last year.

I'm seeing a difference of between 1.5 and 2 ppm from my taylors test. WG always reading lower. Also the FC data posted on the web page is not exactly the same as on my phone. How do I get to the screen on my phone as shown above? I do not see that on my android phone, all I see is the last measurement taken.

Just an aside from someone in the software industry for 30 years...

A lot of these hardware companies outsource or skimp on their software, both the firmware and interface app. (A friend who worked for a hardware company said they viewed the software as a “necessary evil”.) You end up with a really crappy app (or firmware) that may need many versions to get right. The only saving grace is that they can usually fix the problems without replacing the hardware. Of course the “early adopters” pay the price.

And today - no test for no reason. Flow shows low today, but it's measured every other day while "low." You could say today's flow is the highest in a week. Temp was measured, nothing else.View attachment 147364

I have had the same problem intermittently. I'm sorta glad its not just happening to me.. I was told by WG to reseat the cassette. That worked, but then it happened again a few days later. Sometimes if I ask it to do take a "measurement now" after its reported a "no test", it will solve the problem, other times it just repeats with no measurement for Ch and Ph. Its frustrating! I have now tried taping the cassette tight to the sensor since the cassette on my system doesn't seem to lock in place. We'll see if that solves the problem.

I've also found myself wondering how (lack of) measurements like what is depicted above affect the capacity of the cassette? Is that basically a lost day for the capactity of the cassette? If I try asking it to do a "measurement now", does that mean my cassette will now last one day less cause I asked to take an additional measurement? Anyone know?

If it doesn’t do a test it will last another day. If you do an extra measurement it will take one off. There’s 60 tests in a cassette.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, wanted to update everyone. Unit did start testing again on its own. Nothing I did on my end, other than to email support asking for help with the no testing and no notifications. Received an automated response back from support with a case #. And that was it. Emailed them on 6/16, auto-response on 6/16. No response since.

So I'm definitely not excited about this unit.

The other day, I remember I had sent in a vial of water for testing. Since I'm not getting notifications, I never got a heads up that it had been tested. Went in to the app and sure enough, test results!

I tested the water myself a few days before shipping it off. Should be close, I feel. My numbers don't change much re: CYA, TA, CH, etc.

So - my testing numbers:
CC: 0
PH: 7.3
TA: 90
CH: 250
CYA: 50
Salt: 2800 (Though this is from my SWG.)

WaterGuru lab numbers:
CC: 0
TA: 102
CH: 204
CYA: 5 (Yes, 5, I didn't miss the 0.)
Phosphates: 3063
Salt: 2329
Copper: 0
Iron: .1

That's a really big difference on the CYA. I've been waiting for the test results to come back so I could add CYA to the pool. So I'll bring it up to 80 shortly and test again myself and see if I get the numbers I expect based on adding 30 more PPM. If so - I completely disagree with the WG labs on at least CYA. CH? Surprised it's that far off, but also doesn't have as much bearing on me.

Well, wanted to update everyone. Unit did start testing again on its own. Nothing I did on my end, other than to email support asking for help with the no testing and no notifications. Received an automated response back from support with a case #. And that was it. Emailed them on 6/16, auto-response on 6/16. No response since.

So I'm definitely not excited about this unit.

Yep, I am now having issues with mine. I purchased it (and have been using it) since Nov 2019 and it has worked fabulously since day one...until now. The last reading was 4 days ago and I cannot get it to do manual readings. The app will show that the unit is connected and that it's measuring, but that's it. I emailed support and they said they will send a new cartridge. I already had 3 of them, so swapped them out and still nothing. I emailed yesterday making a warranty claim and I haven't heard back from them.

At this point, I NO LONGER recommend the WaterGuru. If it's too good to be true... :cool:

Yep, I am now having issues with mine. I purchased it (and have been using it) since Nov 2019 and it has worked fabulously since day one...until now. The last reading was 4 days ago and I cannot get it to do manual readings. The app will show that the unit is connected and that it's measuring, but that's it. I emailed support and they said they will send a new cartridge. I already had 3 of them, so swapped them out and still nothing. I emailed yesterday making a warranty claim and I haven't heard back from them.

At this point, I NO LONGER recommend the WaterGuru. If it's too good to be true... :cool:

I'm still have the measurement failure also. I last touched the device on Sunday, and it took a measurement that day. Monday it didn't (the same flow and temp measurement recorded, but no FC and PH as described previously). I asked to "measure now", but that didn't matter on Monday. It then did take a measurement yesterday, and today again it didn't. I tried "measure now" again today and that also didn't work :(

I'm hoping to call their tech support about this. they did respond to my support query via email, but it wasn't a useful reply at all. I'm going to try and call them. If I find out anything useful I'll let you know.

And NOW I'm finally impressed. About 3-4 hours after emailing support and asking to return the unit - I have return USPS labels in my email. No questions asked. Fast response. Why couldn't the entire experience have been like this?

FWIW.. I had a nice long chat with Pankaj part of their tech support last night. He went into a lot of detail about how the product works and what the problem might be on my end. They have all of the "raw" data from my device on their end and he was able to pull up exactly how many times my system had failed to take a reading, and how many times I have asked it to do a manual test, etc. Here's a little of what I learned.

I think everyone knows this but the water guru sense is just a submersable digital test pad reader. It uses the cassette to present their proprietary test pads to a digital reader in the sensor where it shines a light on the pad and takes a digital reading. The cassettes contain 3 types of pads. A calibration pad, a FC pad and a PH pad. When taking a reading it first shines its light on the calibration pad and since it knows that's supposed to be white, it uses uses the results of that to adjust how it interprets the color of the other FC and PH pads. Once calibrated, it will then present the FC and PH pads to the reader shine a light on and take readings of. The readings on the calibration pad have to be within a certain range, however, for the devices software to believe it can successfully interpret the FC anf PH readings. If the calibration pad reading step isn't within that range the device will give up and not take the FC and PH readings (for that day), and that's apparently what has been happening on my device. Every time this happens the cassette uses one calibration pad, but does not use a PH or FC pad.

Different pool chemistry apparently affects the readings which is why they need to calibrate each time they test. In theory, since the pool chemistry of your pool doesn't change "that much" day to day the post processing software on their end is able to use the historical calibration readings to improve their current test results. I think I may have noticed this on my end, but I'm not sure since I still get some unsually large swings in FC and PH day to day. Some back information about the cassettes is that they protect the pads between thin layers of glass, and there's 58 pads per cassette (o the device can have failed readings and you'll still get the promised 6 weeks of readings from the cassette). The current generation of cassettes don't have the technology to report how many pads have been used and are left, but that is supposedly something that will be added to future versions. What is reported in their software is merely a count down of the number of days since you changed the cassette though. The limitation on the cassettes is that the chlorine in the pool eventually affects and infiltrates them and that's why they have only a 6 week supply in them. But if you keep cassettes in their sealed container that they ship them to you in, they should last a long time though (definitely across one season to the next.. so an unused cassette from this year can be used next year)

Based on the information on their end, they believe that both the sensor itself and the cassette are working properly on my end but that tiny amounts of dirt, or possibly bubbles have been disrupting the reading. It's an optical process that shines the light to the sensor so small amounts of dirt, or even bubbles can interfere with the reading. They didn't say this, but I believe this is why the "net" to wrap the device was added and I'm guessing it was probably added as an afterthought to try and limit how much dirt the device is directly exposed too, but I don't really know that for sure. Dirt is dirt, and that can often be cleaned by removing and reseating the cassette, though they say you shouldn't have to do that routinely or repeatedly. He also said that warmer water has more oxygen bubbles in it, and those bubbles can also sometimes interfere with the readings.

At the moment, of course, my device is working fine. It skipped two readings earlier this week. On the one day, asking for a manual test didn't do anything, and I got no reading for that day. On the other day it did finally take a reading after manually asking it to do so twice. Even though i haven't touched it, it's since worked fine for the last 3 days. They say all of the readings and numbers on their end look good for the last few days. Just in case, they're sending me another cassette (mainly because my current cassette doesn't really catch when you insert it) and we'll see if that makes any difference in terms of reliability.

I'm still a little on the fence about this device and am still considering sending it back if it can't be made to test reliably. I'm coming to the end of my 45 day return policy. They say they'll extend that since I'm working with them to see if we can pin down and fix the issues. I'm taking their word on that, so hopefully that won't come back and haunt me.

When I first talked to Pankaj he was off getting tested for COVID, since I think someone else in the company tested positive. He's concerned that they may get shut down again because of the pandemic, and that might affect me getting the new cassette and/or any ability to reach them and get responses from them.

I'll let you all know how we get on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.