My water source has high TA; what to do

MrsDubbe

May 21, 2021
Mayer, MN
My total alkalinity is really high, like 400
We have well water, so I took a sample to test. It came back with a pH of 7.4 TA 420 and CH 120

Does this mean this is going to be a forever battle to reduce TA in my pool, or what do I do?

pool water tested 7.8 pH 400 TA and 525 CH

I think the calcium hardness got increased by using the granular shock that my PB gave me?

vinyl liner, SWG, 30k gals in MN

My fill water has a TA of 330, but my pool water TA is currently 70. It will take MA and time to ratchet your TA down. Be patient, it will happen.

Reactions: Oly
My TA is also in the 330 range so it is a constant fight to keep it down with all the fill up from evaporation. I try to keep mine down at 70-80 to help keep my pH from climbing too fast. You will need to do a good amount of aeration if your pool's TA is up near your fill water's TA. Once you get it down to where you want it and get all your other chemicals balanced as well, you might consider adding borates to your pool with boric acid. They will help keep the pH stable longer and they really help keep the plates clean on salt water generators as well.

Don’t get hung up on adjusting TA.

My well water is 480ppm.

In your case, it’s mostly a convenience issue determining how hard it is to keep the pH reasonable. Over time, as you collect rain water and add acid, the TA will go down.

One tip is to anticipate heavy rains and drop the water level in the pool before the rain hits, rather than dropping it after the rain.

Reactions: MrsDubbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.