My user name says it all!

But you did not have a test kit, so you were not likely "shocking" correctly.

I agree with what Jason says. I spent $300 in less than a week at the pool store trying to clear my pool. I stumbled upon TFP and I couldn't be happier! I followed everything exactly as I was instructed to do and the result is my sparkly crystal clear pool in in Avatar pic. My husband was not happy when I bought a test kit and stocked up on bleach at first. Then he saw the results paid off and thinks it is the best thing I ever did. Trust me if you follow proper SLAM procedures you can do this!

What ^^^they said. Welcome fellow Alabamian....I live in Montgomery. I was in your shoes a few years ago. Do everything these great folks tell you and you will be happy and clear in no time. It may take awhile and lots of bleach but have patience. It didn't get that way over night and won't be sparkling overnight but a lot faster if you stay out of the pool store. Get that test kit!! And read, read, read!

Welcome to the forum JustFillItIn...

Nothing to add... only to reiterate what everyone else has been saying... get a good test kit, familiarize yourself with the SLAM process, don't get "poolstore'd", etc...

There's a lot of very helpful and very knowledgeable folks on this site. They'll help you get your pool clear, blue and sparkly.

True. Basically I should just let it circulate until I get a test kit? I have a cheap 3 way never used that the PO left behind, but I don't understand it....
1677d8db0960758a62b8fb5aa69ba059.jpg

In an earlier post I asked if baking soda is stabilizer. Wife brought home two 10 lb jugs of total alkalinity. Should I send it back? From what I see, baking soda is the same thing. I tried my best to get a cya only kit today just to be able to get a "test hit" in. A friend is supposed to bring an unknown kit tomorrow ... maybe I will get lucky and have a "proper" kit lol

Hang in there and have faith. Knowledge is power - when your test kit arrives and you become familiar with it - much of the advice here does start to make sense. You will be swimming soon.

Let the water circulate and ad a bit of bleach each day until the test comes in. Not sure how much to tell you to add but if it was me I would leave the filter on 24/7 backwash if needed and put a gallon of bleach 8.25% from the store. ( Pour in slowly in front of return jet) in the morning and evening. Also return the stuff to the pools store if you can. baking soda is the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

It should not take long to get your kit. They ship from NC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Return everything to the pool store. The only reason I go to the pool store is the unbeatable price of 12.5% liquid chlorine - 2.5 gallons - $8.60 - 5 gallons 16.20 …

Your test kit and bleach will be your best friends in the days/weeks to come …

Just to give you a heads up on bleach quantity - IF you CYA is actually 90 and you have FC of 1 … You would need 6+ gallons of 12.5% bleach or 10+ gallons of 8.25% bleach.

Those numbers came from plugging some of your information into pool math ….

Oh - DEFINITELY get the speedstir!!

Laughing my freakin arse off. This is EXACTLY what I did the first time I owned a pool. Little did I know it would have actually been cheaper to drain the ***, clean everything and add new water back then chemicals. Only takes 36 hours to fill that pool and water is cheap. Cost about $200. So, I suggest you man up, dive in with some goggles and clean the **** on the bottom thereby picking up that **** you are missing. Just attach your hose to the skimmer and nothing on the other end. Then hand clean the bottom. Also you need to backwash the **** outta it like 3 of 4 minutes worth first , then go diving. Also you need to set to vacuum this to WASTE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.