My un-interesting bucket test

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
...and you clicked on this thread anyway, huh? I guess I'm not the only one here who's been a little bored lately!

I think I was suffering a little boredom-induced anxiety. My pool has a small tolerance for variances in water level. There's no coping lip, just vertical tile, so too much water can result in spill-overs while swimming. When I got the house, there was no weir door. I added one and it works great, but it reduced the tolerance of low water - particularly when the pump is at a high speed.

The result is that I need to add water about every 10 days. It doesn't need much, I guess, but if I go more than 2 weeks the skimmer will pull air. It struck me that the 10-14 day rule is constant, even when the pool cover is on. I only keep it covered when the water is heated, so I expect more evaporation, but then it started to bother me: are those small gaps and puddles in the cover enough to explain the constant water loss???

The gradual, predictable rise in CH over the years suggest there's not a leak. or maybe just not a fast one?

The water is cold now. I procrastinated doing a top-off last week, so sure enough, air entered the system. As I was running the hose, anxiety set in.

I decided to settle this and do a bucket test. I don't have stairs, just a ladder, so my "bucket" is a small glass bowl that I placed on the top step of the ladder. I pre-filled the bowl to just a fraction below the top so it wouldn't float away, and then I began to add water until the bowl was just under water.

Then I waited. and watched. and waited, and worried...

I managed to leave it alone for a week before getting down on my knees to examine the water levels in the bowl compared to the pool.

They're identical.

I've moved my attention to not one but TWO ice damns on the roof. Unfortunately, they're not imaginary.

IMG_6339.jpg

...and you clicked on this thread anyway, huh
Clickbait gets me everytime !!! Next up I’ll buzzfeed which animal I resemble in my sleep. I bet it’s a platypus.

Indoor pools have a unique set of headaches. Evaporation, even with a cover is one of them. A lot of indoor pools are grandfathered in but if you were to build that pool today, the HVAC system needed would be something. (If yours is somewhat recent maybe you have it too, or remodeled and added it). Right now I’d guess you house heat is drying out the air which then equalizes humidity from the pool. Or the warm 70 degrees room is battling the 50 degree ground under the pool.

The temps and humidities both inside and out can cause quite the swing. But hey !! It gave you an experiment to do, and you passed !!! No good could have come out of failing the bucket test. I’ll take that anyday.

Reactions: Rollercoastr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.