My Quest Begins - New Pool Owner - w/ Detailed Pics

Re: My Quest Begins - New Pool Owner

Do you have muscles you did not know you had before from all of that work? It looks so much better. I can really tell the difference!

Kim

Ha! Thank you! My cousin helped me on the spa which made things go faster. It's a lot of work but well worth saving $500 to $700. If it wasn't for the humidity we would've had much more done. I was sweating so much I think I lost a few pounds and I only weight 130 lbs. :D

I bought a house with a neglected pool, too. I ended up running mine ugly for a year (kid decided she needed surgery and my time and budget went to that). I was glad I did. I made different decisions than I would have if I had made a run at it first thing. Not only different decisions - less expensive decisions! Bonus! Trust me, I never had one person say "oh, I can't come swim at your house because your pool is ugly." Get enough stuff fixed to run it and enjoy it for a year, then see what you feel like you need to do to it.

I bought a house with a neglected pool, too. I ended up running mine ugly for a year (kid decided she needed surgery and my time and budget went to that). I was glad I did. I made different decisions than I would have if I had made a run at it first thing. Not only different decisions - less expensive decisions! Bonus! Trust me, I never had one person say "oh, I can't come swim at your house because your pool is ugly." Get enough stuff fixed to run it and enjoy it for a year, then see what you feel like you need to do to it.

Thank you for the encouragement. It's truly appreciated.

That's one cool looking setup you have there. Clean it up, fix what needs fixing and use it! Re-set a few tiles, re-plaster what is necessary to hold water, and get her going. It's got such a cool style to it...Well, I tend to like things that are slightly retro, anyway! Keep up the good work!

Ok so here is another status update. Two of my younger cousins helped me over the weekend power wash the pool, see the images below. I wanted to see if the pumps (There are two) were working so I hit the switches (about 4) over the weekend and nothing happened. I read up on the Intermatic Timer and checking to see if the gears in the back of the timer were moving and the manual override switch and nothing happened. There is power going to the socket below it and the circuit breaker so I'm going to change the Timer in the next few days. The timers are sold at my local Lowes and Home Depot. I'm getting the T104R.

Side note: I put bleach, borax, and some baking soda the pool to keep as many bugs and frogs out and the baking soda and borax mainly to keep the bleach from deteriorating from the sun, I apologize if my terminology is wrong. I don't want the water to turn into a Swamp again. I'll be purchasing the test kit once I know the pumps etc don't need to be replaced/ fixed.

Question 1: I started filling the pool up with water at a very slow pace. I'm doing it form the water hose a few hours at a time. I left it on overnight last night. Will the pool BBB chemicals in addition to light scrubs clear up the remaining dirt? Should I stop filling the pool and take care of the remaining stains or are they more of an appearance/ tolerance issue?

Question 2: Is the brick and tile area something I need to worry about outside of safety concerns?

Question 3: Will fixing the brick and tile area later cause an issue?

Question 4: Any suggestions on where I can get the matching brick and tile?

Question 5: Anything else you see that you would advise me to take care of prior to filling up the pool, using the pool, etc...

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great project, I'll definitely be watching intently, especially if/when you decide to replaster yourself. I've got a similar project going as well.

Personally I'd give it a bit more of an acid scrub and pressure wash before filling it and starting the chemestry, I bet a lot of those stains come right off. But thats just a personal pref, and it could be good without that extra work.

Just in case you don't know. Those rusty things sitting at the bottom of the timer box look like they might be the "fingers" that go on the yellow timer wheel to turn things on and off.

Wonderful effort in bringing that pool back to life. :goodjob:

Attachments

• 14797780873_4cf7a34789.jpg
    14797780873_4cf7a34789.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Intermatic-timer-001-450.jpg
    Intermatic-timer-001-450.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 213
Just in case you don't know. Those rusty things sitting at the bottom of the timer box look like they might be the "fingers" that go on the yellow timer wheel to turn things on and off.

Wonderful effort in bringing that pool back to life. :goodjob:

Thanks, Yes I read about the trippers. It's my understanding that the Manual override lever should turn the pump's on regardless of the trippers being on the yellow timer correct? I swapped the timer mechanism out yesterday with no luck. I know power is going to the electrical socket below the timer so I wonder if the mechanism is wired wrong or if there is some way they "hibernate" the pump's or the timer so they can't be accidentally turned on.

- - - Updated - - -

Great project, I'll definitely be watching intently, especially if/when you decide to replaster yourself. I've got a similar project going as well.

Personally I'd give it a bit more of an acid scrub and pressure wash before filling it and starting the chemestry, I bet a lot of those stains come right off. But thats just a personal pref, and it could be good without that extra work.

Thanks for your input. I"m going to have to find another day tackle that project again.

The outlets might be on a seperate circuit. There are two conduits on the side of the timer box. does one have three wires and the other four ??

Yes the manual switch will override the automatic timer and should work even if the timer is burnt out. Have you checked the fuse panel in the house to make sure all the breakers are "ON" ??

If you get a chance can you post a photo of what the outlets under the timer look like .. or are they all standard 120 volt outlets or are some 240 volt (single ones on the right of the photo) ??
It's strange to see so many outlets unless some of them are controlled by the timer too ?? Even so, six outlets just seems like overkill if not a good way to overload the circuit(s).

The timer is normally wired so it's hot all the time and to shut the timer itself off or to work on the circuit the breaker inside the house or if there is a sub-panel between the house and the timer those breakers would be turned off or better yet, pulled if you were working on the circuit.

The outlets might be on a seperate circuit. There are two conduits on the side of the timer box. does one have three wires and the other four ??

I'll check this evening and post a reply to this question.

Have you checked the fuse panel in the house to make sure all the breakers are "ON" ??
Yes the breakers are all on. I turned them off to make when I changed the timer mechanism. The fuse panel is in the garage no more than 15 feet from the timer. The garage is behind the wall you see the gas pipe going through.

If you get a chance can you post a photo of what the outlets under the timer look like .. or are they all standard 120 volt outlets or are some 240 volt (single ones on the right of the photo) ??
I will post pictures of this too but there is only one set of outlets. The GFI (Maybe it's called GCFI) plug. That's the long box on the left side. This is the box I plugged my shop light into to and made sure the breakers (everything that listed pool and lighting) was off.

It's strange to see so many outlets unless some of them are controlled by the timer too ?? Even so, six outlets just seems like overkill if not a good way to overload the circuit(s).
The other four a switches, one GFI/ GFCI outlet, and four switches. At least one control the pool/ spa lights. I assumed the others controlled the pumps, heater, and the timer, but nothing happened after I put the new mechanism in. I did notice that the heater didn't even make a sound when I flipped that switch. I'm hoping I don't have to but I may have to get my electrician friend to come over.

The timer is normally wired so it's hot all the time and to shut the timer itself off or to work on the circuit the breaker inside the house or if there is a sub-panel between the house and the timer those breakers would be turned off or better yet, pulled if you were working on the circuit.
I keep reading how people have a separate breaker in outside the house. The only thing I have are two American Product boxes for the exterior lights. I'll have to search for other mysterious switches in the house because, although the pool haven't been used in years, I find it strange that the only thing with power on that is the GFI plug and the switch that controls the lights int he pool/ spa.

Last edited:
If you have an electrician friend I would beg, borrow or steal his help on this one. To you it's a enigma, to him it's only a challenge to trace out the wiring.

Sorry about the outlets didn't think about it being switches under the covers. That's the problem, almost every electrical installation is different and where it might take you hours to figure out what's what your friend can likely do it in well under an hour and it would be safer. Plus it's nice to have someone in the know look it over to see if they spot any problems from someone taking a shortcut !!

A lot of installations do have a sub panel that is dedicated to the pool or pool spa just depends on the prevailing code where you are and the needs of the systems.

Just a small update - I figured out why the timer/ pumps were not turning on, there is a short of some sort with the switches that control them. Yesterday I pushed the switch a little past the on point and the pump and timer started moving/ making noise so I turned them off. I also noticed that the fuse on the fuse panel tripped and that's something I'm going to look into.

Welcome to the forum GspecSTI :wave:

" I also noticed that the fuse on the fuse panel tripped and that's something I'm going to look into."
Just keep it safe when you're in there working on it :safe:

Welcome to the forum GspecSTI :wave:

" I also noticed that the fuse on the fuse panel tripped and that's something I'm going to look into."
Just keep it safe when you're in there working on it :safe:

HA!!! I will thanks. After I change the switch, with anything relating to "pool/lighting" on the fuse panel off of course, if I have issues the electrician friend will come over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.