My pool looks like a swamp! New owner, 1st time opening, Help!

I agree, it will not show a true number. There is always risk, adding based on previous day's numbers could also be bad if not as much chlorine starts getting consumed.

Here's a thread with a pic of the OTO test with orange color.
And away we go!!! Started conversion tonight. Lots of PIPs

Some more info from the extended test kit instructions:
Extended Test Kit Directions

You can use this test to get a vague idea of extremely high TC levels. If the sample turns a particularly vivid yellow the TC level is between 5 and 15, light orange is between 10 and 20, dark orange is between 15 and 30, and brown is 30 or higher.

Well, was going to test FC.. but ran out of 0871. Argh!

I guess I'll go off earlier numbers today.. seems to have been hanging around 11-13. Plus I'm starting with the 12.5% Chlorine now too.

I'll try to vacuum tomorrow. I don't have a bag, so your saying vacuum to waste instead of Filter?

So, since I can't test the water at home, I figure I'll run to the pool store this morning and get it tested, at least give me an idea where I'm at.
I went ahead and put in 1 Gal. right when I got up, pool math says 123oz. If I'm at 12 and goal of 18. Should I adjustto 16 now that I have "better" chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, Thanks.

Do any pool stores sell the 0871 reagent? I hate not being able to test, not knowing exactly where the levels are.

On a side note... My pool has a very dark liner, so keep that in mind when you see pics of the pool. I know it doesn't affect anything, but it won't have that bright blue look like most pools.

I'm planning on a solar blanket, I haven't got it yet, but would that help any at all if I had it on now?
Any suggestions where to order one from?

The pool store may sell the Taylor version of 0871, but I doubt it. Cannot hurt to check.

Don't worry about the solar cover. Having it on during a SLAM does not help. It actually can hinder it because the
lol needs to be able to breath.

I stopped by the pool store, picked up a new gauge and 4 Gals. of 12.5% chlorine. He said the stuff from Rural King at 10% is no good, probably more like 5-6%. I guess we'll see.

I got a couple cases of the stuff from rural king a couple weeks ago. Of course the pool store wants to discredit anyone else. The stuff I got was more like 15%. One gallon raised my FC by 5.5-6ppm in my 32k gallon pool. I can't vouch for all of it, but the stuff I got was very fresh and very strong.
Sorry your rural king bleach turned out to be weaker than expected. Keep going. You are doing great. Every single slam thread I've read has this plateau. Everyone gets frustrated because there was improvement, and then it seems to stop getting better. After a short time of that it ALWAYS goes pretty quickly to blue water. Just keep at it. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer and closer, and if you stick to the tfp guidelines you will never have to do this again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what we are here for. We want you to know these method really do work and we will support you getting through this.
Thanks... Funny... My dad has a pool, has for 30 years, he thinks I'm crazy trying this. He swears by the pool store and keeps telling me, you just need to go get a shock kit, and says those forums out there can have a lot of bad information.

I'm a big fan of forums. I've had several sports cars and the forums have been wonderful.

Questions...
1) it's supposed to rain quite a bit today, anything I'm going to need to do different other than keep an eye on the water level?
2) will it help to use the scrub brush on the pole and stir up whats left on the bottom, until I can see to vacuum?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.