My pool looks like a swamp! New owner, 1st time opening, Help!

Wow, that is some pretty water. Great job!

CC, or combined chlorines, are the result of your FC, free chlorine, attacking stuff that isn't supposed to be in your pool. If your CC is above .5 you would continue to keep your FC at shock level until the CC's are .5 or less and you have no overnight chlorine loss.

So if there is still stuff in the water that the FC is attacking, the CC will be a higher number than .5? Only way to bring the CC down is to keep it at shock level until it kills off the stuff in the water? Am I understanding correctly?

Thanks!

My SLAM is done!!!! POOLS OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Did the OCLT test last night, and FC stayed exactly the same, and CC was 0 this morning.

I can't thank all of you enough who took the time, and patience to help me through this process, especially Azgirl71!! I was skeptical at first, especially the way my pool looked on day 1 and all the worms I was scooping out. But by following your guys advice and being persistent with testing the water, and skimming, scooping, vacuuming, it looks beautiful now!! My wife is very impressed!! My kids are so happy they can now enjoy their new pool! Thanks again everyone, and I hope to continue to learn and help others!

Once the FC gets below 10, I'll run a full test on everything and post those numbers up.

Pics from this morning!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PH will rise on its own. You can shoot for 8 FC and that will give you some leeway. Just test FC in the morning and evening. Test PH once a day or at least every other day. When it gets to 7.8 bring it back down to 7.4 using muratic acid.

Don't let FC drop below 4 per chlorine/CYA chart

Ok, so just to clarify, target 8 on FC daily, test twice daily and adjust, test PH once a day or everyother. If it gets above 7.8 bring it down to 7.4 with muratic acid?? Just don't want to make any mistakes. What if PH is low, like it is now, does the bleach bring it up?

ok, thanks again!

Ok, one other question. I have a chlorinator with the 3" tablets, what's the reason for not using it to help maintain the chlorine level? Just want to understand.

Theey can be used if you are going on a trip, but it is not recommended they be used as they raise CYA and I believe they can also lower PH. To use for a week is not bad when gone, but to continually use them all the time will through everything out of wack. Just stick with bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.