My pool equipment is getting flooded when it rains - will this do damage?

Mar 14, 2017
Far Hills, NJ
Hi we just had a new pool installed and due to the location of the pool equipment (low elevation) it keeps getting flooded when it rains. We had some mild rain the other day and the water level was about 6 inches. Pool guy says this is ok but we got a second opinion from another pool guy and he says it needs to be raised up at least 6inches as it will cause rust and damage over time. Thoughts? How easy is it to get this raised?

I had the same problem. I'd fix it sooner than later.

b5yGuZX.jpg

What I did to solve the issue was to cut several slots in the equipment pad to allow water drain off. Works amazingly well. I just used a circular saw with a masonry blade to cut through the concrete (insert normal PPE/safety cautions here).

Whoa! Raise it all! Empty all water from the filter, Shut off all breakers from the breaker panel, Cut the PVC pipe where it exits the earth, remove all equipment, place an equipment pad on the earth leveled, reposition equipment back to same position on top of pad, install several PVC couplings at the previously cut pipes, fill filter with water turn on breakers, Done.

I am real shocked that the PB didn't put the equipment on a concrete pad! It seems like it would be in constant wet/dampness. An invitation for rust and equipment break down.
I thought I read another thread you started about another problem regarding the pool. You state " new pool ". How new? There should be a warranty involved, and I would definitely call builder back for rework. Hopefully you haven't paid in full. Good luck.

I've had wet LEAVES rust out the motor like that. You need to make sure that at least the pump is clear of any water. I have my pump sitting on a concrete block that is sitting on the concrete pad to keep it from sitting in water. If there are any other metal things getting submerged - they also need to be raised before they rust out / quit working. And I would also be concerned about water and electricity - they do not mix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.