My pool build journey! With AquaBright in West TN

It should be a 2 day install. We would acid wash the pool, pressure wash it, completely dry it, mask off the waterline tile and any borders then apply the first coat of epoxy on the first day.

The second day, the second coat of epoxy gets applied and three coats of aquabright shot on top.

The second coat of epoxy is the critical part. It needs to cover 100% of the pool and set up enough to where it gets tacky but has not begun to skin over. The first coat of Aqua Brite needs to get shot into that tacky epoxy. If it's still too wet the epoxy will burn and the AquaBright will blister, if it's too dry the aquabright won't adhere and will end up flaking off in a few weeks/months.

The epoxy cures at different rates based on temperature humidity, and sun exposure. It took me a lot of pools to figure out the right timing.
Thanks. Good info!

Yesterday they acid washed and got a coat of epoxy on, today they taped and are now on the 3rd epoxy coat. Tomorrow the real fun starts!

Attachments

• 770E5FE5-F12A-46E0-970E-276850D59CEB.jpeg
    770E5FE5-F12A-46E0-970E-276850D59CEB.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 2ECE53A3-2180-4585-97F5-5C6DD57B6C6A.jpeg
    2ECE53A3-2180-4585-97F5-5C6DD57B6C6A.jpeg
    562.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 78404009-E015-43AB-AA0B-38E4FFEAEB55.jpeg
    78404009-E015-43AB-AA0B-38E4FFEAEB55.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 53
They didn't shoot today?

The red tinted coat gets applied and in usually an hour or two the guns come out.

That epoxy is going to be too dry to shoot tomorrow. Unless something changed they are doing it wrong.

Lots of different expert opinions and experience apparently and now it’s that it’s best done the way they are applying per the manufacturer and how they are training them. I’m thinking there maybe is one step between this and the ?.....it’s still tacky this am too.....
There is no way for the epoxy to be uniformly dry/wet/tacky on all areas of any pool shell. Especially since the “high traffic” areas were treated differently (heavier maybe?)
Sure hoping, have to say betting actually, that they are doing it right or the best possible way. It’s always a gamble trusting someone you hire anyway.
They have done some pools around here and no issues reported....
You guys will be the first, well after my PB anyway, to know I’d anything isn’t perfect!

Last edited:
Hmmmm....I hope they have it figured out. I chased a whole string of pools from another installer that let the epoxy sit too long before shooting. The Aquabright was coming off in sheets after 2-3 years and EcoFinish denied warranty claims due to improper installation by the contractor.

Maybe they are using a slower setting epoxy now?

Hmmmm....I hope they have it figured out. I chased a whole string of pools from another installer that let the epoxy sit too long before shooting. The Aquabright was coming off in sheets after 2-3 years and EcoFinish denied warranty claims due to improper installation by the contractor.

Maybe they are using a slower setting epoxy now?

Not sure but the epoxy was tacky this am in fact I was really curious how they were going to walk on it but the way they did it made sense. I sure hope it was done correctly. It definitely looks good. I will get some pictures posted tomorrow

Not sure but the epoxy was tacky this am in fact I was really curious how they were going to walk on it but the way they did it made sense. I sure hope it was done correctly. It definitely looks good. I will get some pictures posted tomorrow
You walk on the areas that have been shot with Aquabright. The material dries quickly from all the heat and its walkable within 30 seconds of application.

Unless something has changed they are not installing the material in a fashion EcoFinish recommends.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great! I have limited knowledge on the finish but as bdavis said there have been lots of disaster jobs and many of them detailed on our forums. Make sure the sub has a guarantee in workmanship to the PB and is an authorized installer.
Yes, got the sub recommendation directly from Ecofinish themselves. There is a labor/application guarantee.
I also went to see a couple pools in the area that they did too.
I sure hope it holds up and does what it’s supposed to do for a long time!

Reactions: jimmythegreek
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.