My pool build journey! With AquaBright in West TN

Should be firing all engines later today! It’s been filling since yesterday afternoon and it’s about 12 or so inches from the skimmer this AM ?
Now have about 2 weeks before it will be all systems go........for now, fill, run, maintain x 2 weeks to let base plaster cure, then drain it. Then the last step...... Aquabright gets applied, that beautiful Mediterranean Blue ? for now it’s this light blue water.....
So exciting. What I am looking forward to is seeing the waterfall start up!

If it wasn’t for the horses ? , I’d be wanting summer weather to still be here. No heater in this pool. Maybe another project on down the road ?

Attachments

• 716508CA-495F-4120-BF29-A8D7B84B4E33.jpeg
    716508CA-495F-4120-BF29-A8D7B84B4E33.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 28

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So it’s looking like the rain will be gone and there will be enough of a break in the weather to get the Aquabright install done this coming Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.....excited to watch that process.
I will be sure and video!
Here is video of the waterfall startup! Love it. I sure look forward to the finished project and the beautiful Mediterranean Blue color!

Last edited:
Odd they opted to fill the pool and then drain it. Perhaps it was just a timing thing between the plaster and AB contractors?

What color did you choose?

They plastered it and said plaster needed to cure at least 2 weeks? My PB had never built one with it so he subbed it to another company that does since that’s what I wanted. They are coming from another town 2 hours away to do it so it may be a scheduling thing and it was a new build so weather delays etc come in as well? Does it normally just go in on top of fresh plaster?
It has been a pain for PB as he has come out regularly to brush the plaster 2 times daily the first week and then 1-2x daily since. I know he is ready to not have to do that anymore. This is the final step and we will be all done except for some tweaks.
I chose Mediterranean Blue. I hope I don’t decide it’s too dark once done. ☺

Last edited:
Well everything was going so well, something had to go wrong. Of course it’s with another pool company that my PB had to sub to for the Aquabright.......
Their installers were supposed to show up this AM to start. Emptied the pool last night as directed so they could start at 9am This AM about the time they should arrive, they text my PB that the project manager isn’t available today so they aren’t coming. Sigh. Looks like now we will miss the ONLY 3 day period that it was possible to get it done as temps are going down below 50 now after Thursday.
So annoyed. And they haven’t responded to PB asking when they can reschedule.
Now I’m looking at filling the 20,000gals only to have to drain and fill AGAIN at some point. Waste of water and waste of $ because I get charged for the water as well as by the 1000 gallons of water with an extra sewer charge Plus I now will need to maintain a basic white plaster finish until who knows when. I wanted the Aquabright for the easier maintainability!
And yes....of course....a LARGE deposit has been paid to them to cover all materials already. ?
Had I just done the Hydrazzo like I wanted first I’d be done because my PB could have had that done 2 weeks ago. But I wanted the Aquabright. Annoyed.

On new pools I would plaster it and wait 24-48 hours then apply the AquaBright. Their method seems like a lot of work but you'll probably end up with a stronger base in the process...

Mediterranean is my favorite. I'm sure you'll like it (y)
Well now I know why it’s been a 2 week wait. It’s because the pool co that’s doing the AB just wanted a 2 week notice to schedule it since they come from over an hour away. Fine except when they then have me drain it for them and the next am they say they can’t come. Impressive isn’t it.

Well now I know why it’s been a 2 week wait. It’s because the pool co that’s doing the AB just wanted a 2 week notice to schedule it since they come from over an hour away. Fine except when they then have me drain it for them and the next am they say they can’t come. Impressive isn’t it.
You may not need to refill the pool if they can show up soon enough. You just need to hose down the plaster a few times a day in the meantime.

I would ask for your deposit back. They didn't didn't meet the terms of the agreement. Live with the plaster over the winter and readress the aquabright when things warm in the spring of you still want to go that route.

Aquabright is very temperamental and getting 3 days of ideal weather over the winter will cause a lot of stress.

You may not need to refill the pool if they can show up soon enough. You just need to hose down the plaster a few times a day in the meantime.

I would ask for your deposit back. They didn't didn't meet the terms of the agreement. Live with the plaster over the winter and readress the aquabright when things warm in the spring of you still want to go that route.

Aquabright is very temperamental and getting 3 days of ideal weather over the winter will cause a lot of stress.
So I know for discussion tomorrow with them, what exactly is it about AB install or the AB itself that’s temperamental and is it actually 3 full days to install it? Thanks so much for answering!

It should be a 2 day install. We would acid wash the pool, pressure wash it, completely dry it, mask off the waterline tile and any borders then apply the first coat of epoxy on the first day.

The second day, the second coat of epoxy gets applied and three coats of aquabright shot on top.

The second coat of epoxy is the critical part. It needs to cover 100% of the pool and set up enough to where it gets tacky but has not begun to skin over. The first coat of Aqua Brite needs to get shot into that tacky epoxy. If it's still too wet the epoxy will burn and the AquaBright will blister, if it's too dry the aquabright won't adhere and will end up flaking off in a few weeks/months.

The epoxy cures at different rates based on temperature humidity, and sun exposure. It took me a lot of pools to figure out the right timing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.