My ODK build progess *** COMPLETED***

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Today is day 3 into my build, about 8 hours worth of work.
Framing for the main grill and side burner is complete. a nacksplash and L attachment will be next.

I used 2.5x1.25" 25 gauge steel tracks for the frames. Sides will be covered with 1/4" and top will be 1/2" hardibacker. I have a 12" overhang at the bar area which will be supported with 1/2" iron angle bars.

grill area will be 28x98 and bar is 26x74

overall studs were cut 35" height. After adding the composite decking board, i can flush a 3x5 hardiboard with minimal cutting. Completed height should be about 37.25".

Finish sides will be covered with Dryvits and granite countertop

20150429_170906_resized.jpg
20150428_184521_resized.jpg
20150429_174218_resized.jpg

Re: My ODK build progess

Here's another update as of 5.06, been busy so I only had about 2 additional hours into it. Finished out all the bar framing, door cutouts. Next step is to put some the hardiboards on the side and order my stucco. A local company carries both Dryvit and BMI, they said it's basically the same but BMI is a almost 1/2 the price. Does anyone have any comments it them?

We went to the granite company and picked out a color only to find that the only color we liked is out of stock. It's gonna be another month before they have it so we're going to wait for it. once stucco, I imagine I can start enjoying the bbq while I wait for the counter top. :)

20150503_194522_resized.jpg

20150503_194618_resized.jpg

Re: My ODK build progess

Just wanted to give an update on my finish product. Been done for a month just haven't had time to post the progress.

Took me just over a month to finish only because I had to juggle between travels and kids. If I had the time to do it, I could have gotten this finished in 2 weekends working 8 hours a day. last thing to do is to get some pedestal and anchor the chairs on the floor of the bar area.

Needed some kind of hooks for the tools so I decided to add some colors to it.

20150627_195540_resized.jpg

odk.jpg

Looking good!

Did you choose BMI or Dryvit, in the end? And who was your supplier (we're having issues getting our Ameristone top coat, and could use another supplier)....

And where did you eventually get the granite? We've been to All Natural Stone in Dublin, and MS International in Hayward. I think we're getting the slab from Dublin...

Looking good!

Did you choose BMI or Dryvit, in the end? And who was your supplier (we're having issues getting our Ameristone top coat, and could use another supplier)....

And where did you eventually get the granite? We've been to All Natural Stone in Dublin, and MS International in Hayward. I think we're getting the slab from Dublin...

I ended up with BMI, seems to do the trick. Cal Ply is where I got it. I believe they have an east bay location as well.

Granite I got at Terico only because their slabs were 1.5" thick no plywood was required. However, the quality isn't there. The cuts and edges were very rough and require ti be refinished slightly.

Are u looking for prefab or whole slab?

Yeah, we've been dealing with CalPly for the DryVit - and apparently the Ameristone topcoat has changed supplier. We finally got the sample of the new stone-in-acrylic, and it's much darker, with a bluer tone. We both prefer the original color, but we're fairly committed to the acrylic process, so I guess we'll still go with Ameristone/DryVit.

We've decided that we're getting our granite from All Natural Stone - we really like the Angola Silver slab color.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cool design

Did you use any support brackets for the bar overhang, or the outside edges support was enough?

Currently debating whether to do the same as you or have the whole thing overhanging.

I don't have any supports only because I was able to find 1.5 inch thick granite which can support 10 inch over hang with no brackets. I have 11 inches of over hang so I risked it. Only did this because it was to late to rebuild by the time I got to the counter top. If I were to do it all over again I would compensate for 3 inch lip round the counter so I can added some 2x3 lumber under for support and use standard 3/4 granite and add a fat 3" finish edge. It would look much better.

In short I don't recommend it, I simply screwed up but got lucky in the end.

Very cool Dannieboiz! We're in Oakland and I've been thinking about mine for a long time. I've excavated the area for the BBQ Island and in fact, as I type this, they're out there framing for a concrete base. I'm thinking of a Blaze professional grill and I'm also thinking of just creating my own doors since, as you said, the accessories can end up costing as much as the grill itself!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.