my numbers

nthoms

Jul 13, 2012
Colchester, CT
I opened my pool a few days ago. Water is a little bit cloudy. Here are the numbers from my Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 testing:

FC = 14
CC = 0
CYA = 100+
PH = 7.2
TA = 40
CH = 80
Pump pressure = 11 psi
Salt = 2800
Temp = 65

I have a couple questions that I need help with ...

(1) When I measure the PH, right after adding the reagent and shaking it, I get an initial reading of ~7.2, but if I leave the test alone for a few minutes the reading appears to increase quite a bit. Is this normal? Do I possibly have bad reagent? Should I wait a period of time before recording the reading?

(2) I have a vinyl lined pool and a heater. Should my Calcium Hardness be raised? if so, what should it be raised to?

(3) I believe I've added too much stabilizer (CYA > 100) ... correct? What negative effect does this have?

Thanks so much for your help and insights.

1)This is normal. The high FC is reacting with the red indicator. Below 10 FC it will stay the same. Take your reading right away.
2) CH for your vinyl pool is fine anywhere above 50. It may foam some, in which case you can add some Calcium.
3) High CYA means you must maintain a much higher FC to avoid algae. But if you do get algae you might discover that the levels of FC you need will a) require a tanker truck full of bleach and b) be higher than the test kit can read. You probably should repeat the CYA test using the dilution method in Step 8 here

Have you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry recently? It might be time for a refresher. Also FC/CYA Levels
If you would rather watch the movie version

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.