Hickory, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I do not know what I am doing wrong. It has to be user error.

My mermaid child has been swimming with no goggles, but after she gets out of the pool her eyes are wrecked. My numbers looked fine so we were theorizing that it was outdoor allergies since her nose was also running. She doesn't go outside unless she's in the pool, so couldn't prove. Now my middle son went in today with no goggles and his eyes are messed up too. Its possible they both have sun screen running into their eyes I guess? Or both have the same weird August seasonal allergy? No one with goggles on or not putting their heads in the water have messed up eyes out of the other 4 of us. So, other than that, my only guess is its my water.

SWG on brand new fiberglass pool
My Today Numbers
FC 11.5 (OK this is high; we turned down the SWG. It had been holding in the 7-9 range without adjusting the SWG. We just finally got our cover working, so maybe its not burning off as much chlorine now? The eyes were messed up when it was lower too)
--My... whatever other chlorine where you put in the 5 drops to see if it turns pink? it doesn't turn pink. So 0
pH 7.8 - it just stays at 7.8 without messing with it, so I thought it was ok? Should I lower it? I haven't added any muriatic acid in a month)
TA 70 (its been testing at 60 or 70 every time)
CH 200 (low, but its a fiberglass pool and I guess thats ok? I know 220 was a goal but I didnt want to open another bag of stuff for 20 points)
CYA 60 (maybe 50. I hate this test. But since my chlorine has been sitting at 7-9 without adjusting anything, I figure its ok?)
Salt 3200 by TF test (Omni app says 3533 is average but I have never tested it above 3400 with the TF kit)
Borates 50 (with the recommended Taylors strips)
Temp 88 right now, usually 85ish
-0.34 CSI

I haven't added a single thing to the pool since the acid a month ago. Just a minute ago turned the SWG down to 15% . It was on 20% previously. My PoolMath logs are accurate for my testing (but not the brushing and vacuuming and all. husband forgets to log that).

OK. So what have I done wrong? My poor babies look miserable.

pH of tears is 7.5.

The pH test is not valid with FC over 10.

Let your FC drift down to 5-6 and then test your pH and adjust it to 7.4 to 7.5. See if that helps the kids eyes.

I know the FC is high today, but this is the first time its been over 9. So my previous pH readings should be accurate? Or not?

Should I go ahead and dump some acid in it tonight while I wait on the FC to drop? They swim every day, so if I can make it a little better for tomorrow, I would like to do that.

If you are confident of your pH measurements then lower your pH a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.