My Iron Stain Removal

It's been over 4 months since I started the process, See "My Iron Stain Removal". The pool is still stain free, mostly. The major stain accumulation is at the plastic main drain of the pool, which is a suction to the pump (in addition there are two skimmers). There is another main drain in the spill over spa which is a return from the pump and it accumulated the stain the fastest. The jets in the spa have a light staining and I noticed that the jets that have less sunlight have the most staining. The jets in the pool have no staining. The jets in the spa are closer to the surface than the jets in the pool. There doesn't appear to be any staining of the pool plaster.

Overall I am extremely pleased after the AA treatment, and at this point the staining on the plastic parts is noticeably reducing, slowly. (Or the pool plaster is staining making the drain look lighter :oops:).

Before starting the treatment I added an Iron filter to the auto fill. Since the treatment I have discontinued using Algaecide.

Now I have a maintenance dilemma. When I started the process, I decided to use Orenda SC-1000 as my metal control. My other reason for choosing SC-1000 was to treat the plaster, there were numerous calcium buildups. The SC-1000 is a Chelant and I can find nothing in the documentation about where the dissolved metal goes other than it is too small to be filtered. In my area there has been a lot of rain, so maybe dilution is the solution. There was also an issue with the chlorine level when initially adding the 1st quart dose. It took over a month before I could start dialing back the SWG. This was expected as there was a warning. And the higher SWG dosing could have had something to do with the return of the initial main drain staining.

I have three more treatments of the SC-1000 left. Since the results are acceptable, should I continue with the Chelant or switch over to a sequestrant? And if I switch over to a sequestrant, will I have an adverse reaction in the pool water?

I keep my chemistry balanced once a week. FC and PH are checked daily and I add approximately 4-6oz of acid a day. Since I've been dialing back the SWG, the amount of acid demand hasn't really changed so I think the waterfall aeration contributes to that. TA was 70 last check. And due to the rain, I've had to increase the CYA and of course add salt.

Dumb question but... @Snoobug Does your skimmer have a skimmer sock installed, in that picture you posted? I'm guessing yes? Where do you buy skimmer socks like that?

Dumb question but... @Snoobug Does your skimmer have a skimmer sock installed, in that picture you posted? I'm guessing yes? Where do you buy skimmer socks like that?

Just buy spun polypropylene hair nets on Amazon. 100 pack costs like $9. Once they fill up, throw them out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.