My green to blue pool story

whitbyPool

Aug 19, 2020
Whitby Ontario
I just wanted to share what everyone on the forum already knows - SLAM method works.

We purchased a house that came with a pool. A pool was never on our wishlist, however the house was perfect in every other way and we thought we could manage. We got a professional pool guy to open our pool. His advise was to:
- level pH, algaecide and shock once a week
- use stabilized pucks every three days
- skim, vacuum and broom once a week
- backwash when operating pressure is above 8

I never used the algaecide. It didn't make sense to me. Why does algae need special treatment when all other organics are killed with chlorine? Anyways, all went well, until our pump one-day stopped working. Pool remained inoperative for 5 days before pump got replaced by the same pool tech. He didn't mention a single word about the green swamp. I asked him how to get it back to blue and he said to just run the pool as normal and it will resolve. It did not resolve.

After a week of research, I started the slam method with bleach and Cal-Hypo. I had to drain 30% of the pool and refill to get the CYA level to below 50. I had to to add 1lb of.pH minus to get the pH from 8.4 to 7.2. It took me 32 gallons of bleach and 2lbs of Cal-Hypo in chemicals over 5 days. The pool just gobbled up the chemicals over the first three days. I barely bad to dose on the last two days. I vacuumed the pool every other day and brushed the pool once a day. I tested chlorine levels every 2 hours and dosed to maintain. I now have crystal clear water. I am maintaining chlorine levels with bleach.

Way to commit to the program and the proof is in the pudding. So many people start with good intentions but quickly turn to Shock, Floc, or some other Crock. You saw it through and 2 hour testing shaved days off your battle no doubt. Bravo.

OK. the TFP Gold Star Atta-boy was awarded to Dirk for his, "Regular testing is far better than precision testing" (perhaps paraphrased) but now we have to give an equal award to Newdude for this one, "So many people start with good intentions but quickly turn to Shock, Floc, or some other Crock"

Excellent posts, Dirk and Newdude. Your insight and precise words are chasing us old-timers into early retirement. That's OK, I think the TFP retirement program pays just as much as being currently employed.

Full disclosure - I will admit that I did not use the recommended test kits. I ordered one Taylor kit to my family in US, but cannot get it now because of Covid. In Canada, the test kits are exorbitantly expensive. I basically used test strips cut into ribbons. I also diluted the pool water with tap water to bring the concentrations into a range the strip can test, then multiplied back up. So it can be done done without the recommended test kits, provided you are comfortable doing a bit of math. Obviously, my testing was not super accurate. But it was good enough to get the job done.

We are well versed in the test kit troubles up north and give y’all a moderate free pass on it.
But like Dirk originally said and Dave paraphrased above, Frequent testing beats precise testing. You killed it. Great job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.