My green monster

its not suprising to me that it has taken this long due to the amount of gunk that was in this pool ( it sat unused and uncovered for 2 years). A partial drain and refill (i think) would only be somewhat beneficial to the clarity of the pool at this stage. Equipment is running great, Sand filter is working its hind-end off. its been deep cleaned (I mean deep, I removed all the sand to replace the laterals and cleaned it outside the filter last month) Been adding D.E. after every backwash. it does however try your patience. if a partial water change is in order I'm not opposed to it but only if it would be beneficial

day 23 of SLAM

Care to try the fine micron bag on the return jet trick before you attempt to partially drain? Would hate to see the CYA go out of whack again, and some of that wonderful bleach you have stocked up on go to waste.

The DE should be clearing the water up at 5 micron. I know your pool is much much bigger than mine, but could it hurt to attempt to throw a bag on at 1 micron? And also get your cya and free chlorine in balance?

- - - Updated - - -

Rammy you may have mentioned it before in this post I'm not sure. Do you know what your GPH or GPM is for your pump?

Wow. I'm on my 5th day of SLAM; not sure my patience will hold our long enough for multiple weeks. My water clarity looks similar to yours, but I'm losing 10 ppm of FC every night. I don't even want to think about how much LC I've bought. The problem is with the water so cloudy, I can't see any trouble spots that are eating up the chlorine. I was just reading about Robert's triple filtration method and I wonder if that might help to get me clear enough to knock out whatever is left. Especially given the abysmal condition of my cartridge.

Rodert - I'm willing to give it a try. Will look for the one that was talked about in another thread on here something about a DUDA diesel filter i think. will look around and see if i can find it

Eric - stay strong!!!! its a marathon not a sprint. not only has mine been physicaly taxing it has also been mentally taxing, My wife continues to think "its never going to happen" or "sure it MAY work but ill only have 1 month to enjoy it" which she has earned that right because of my lack of maintenance over the years. Get your leaf rake and just blindly rake the pool everyday, keep at it. took me several days to get the 2 years gunk (leaves, pine needles, and OH MY GOD what is that!) out of my pool, the quicker you get that stuff out the better you will be. when you think you have raked enough do it some more.

Rammy you may have mentioned it before in this post I'm not sure. Do you know what your GPH or GPM is for your pump?

sorry missed that in the last post

Hayward Super Pump SP2610X15 230V with 30ft of head pressure It comes out to (guessing here pump is same level as pool and only 5-7 feet away)

75 GPM 4,500 GPH and 108,000 Gal in a 24 hour period, turns my pool over 4 times a day

Hayward SP2610X15 Super Inground Pool Pump, 115/230V, 1.5HP
[FONT=Helvetica Neue LT W01_71488914]Data Performance - Max Rated Models

[FONT=museo_sans300] [/FONT][FONT=museo_sans300] [/FONT]
Model20 ft30 ft40 ft50 ft60 ft70 ft
SP2600X548 GPM38 GPM23 GPM---
SP2605X761 GPM52 GPM41 GPM25 GPM--
SP2607X1074 GPM65 GPM54 GPM40 GPM-
SP2610X1583 GPM75 GPM65 GPM53 GPM36 GPM-
SP2615X20122 GPM111 GPM98 GPM84 GPM66 GPM38 GPM
SP2621X25117 GPM107 GPM97 GPM86 GPM74 GPM58 GPM

[/FONT]

CYA is the ONLY test that I also get done at the local pool store to double check with my results from my Taylor kit. This is because I personally find that determining when the dot really "disappears" is kind of iffy to me/my eyes. So I double check that one at the pool store. But like the others mentioned, if it's consuming that much chlorine only in the daylight hours when the sun is present and very minimal at night, then that leads us to believe that CYA is the culprit. I must admit, you've gone through a ton of bleach...more so than most do, but once it's clear and no algae is present and your CC is 0...it'll all be worth it (final determination to stop SLAM is when it passes OCLT)! You are SO close and almost have "won the war" so to speak. Keep it up buddy...that 3rd step is almost visible and then soon the bottom will be. My main piece of advice is afterwards, be diligent on testing and keeping it clean. It is MUCH easier imo to do a little each week, than to become relaxed and have it revert back to an algae outbreak and having to SLAM all over again. You got this man!

Eric, every SLAM is different, because every pool is different. It sounds like yours is moving right along!

Rammy,
I have been enjoying reading (and seeing) your progress. Believe it or not, months (if not years) from now, you will be giving hope to someone out there who did a search on fixing a green monster! I have done so many searches on this site, and have found forum posts from back in 2008 that have helped me greatly. You are an inspiration and a testament of diligence.
Keep at it! We are rooting for you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been following this thread. I had my own green monster! (Looked exactly like yours.)I live in the country and have a well that cannot keep up with the demand for water when we vac to waste. I bought a dolphin when we first did the pool so I would not have to waste water and it has been great but it is obviously ineffective with the algae. I have gotten my pool clear with 4 shock kits and 25 gallons of the Walmart bleach. The algae on the bottom of the pool in the deep end is about 2-3 inches thick! Vacuuming out has become a challenge because of water level in the skimmer. Additionally, when I do vac it stirs the algae up and I go back cloudy for a day. Will be adding DE when it arrives hoping that it will catch the algae in the sand.

Anyway, writing this to let you know that your struggle has been shared and your post has been an encouragement that has kept me in the fight and given hope. I was ready to haul in concrete and change the pool to a basketball court!

Just a quick update. I've been busy and will put of town for 2 weeks starting today. My wife knows how to test the water for FC now and can send me the readings and I can use pool math. I think it will work. Wanted to share a couple pics thank you all for the kind words. It's been a journey and if it I have helped you it makes me happy. Y'all can do this

Picture for today. Different time however
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/rammy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20180617_112218_zpsakr1lrix.jpg.html][/URL]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.