My green monster

Rammy does that pond filter have any kind of micron rating just out of curiousity?

It's very large,

for example it links to this 50-micron felt pad

For Comparison: (not to scale)
Micron%20Illustration.jpg

im so close to having a TFP its getting better every day...……...BUT

I do have a concern..... it appears that the amout of sunlight I get on the pool may be too much for the CYA level that I'm maintaining right now (40). I dosed yesterday morning around 6:30 am to get to the target level of 16 ppm. No one was home yesterday untill 9:30 pm. When I checked the FC it was at 1 :uhh::scratch:. I added the needed LC per pool math and had 16.5 when I checked at 10:30pm and went to bed. This morning at 7am (8.5 hours later) it was at 13. so that's a 3.5 ppm drop overnight. My pool gets sun from sunrise until 6 or 7 pm. (around 12 - 14 hours of direct sun exposure).

I know that increasing the CYA would call for a larger SLAM value but would I keep more of my FC in the long run? its a recurring issue after the pool has gone through the heat/sun of the day. I've gone through 16 gals of LC since the 9th basically 3 days

any ideas of what I should do?

This morning numbers

FC 13
CC .5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
im so close to having a TFP its getting better every day...……...BUT

I do have a concern..... it appears that the amout of sunlight I get on the pool may be too much for the CYA level that I'm maintaining right now (40). I dosed yesterday morning around 6:30 am to get to the target level of 16 ppm. No one was home yesterday untill 9:30 pm. When I checked the FC it was at 1 :uhh::scratch:. I added the needed LC per pool math and had 16.5 when I checked at 10:30pm and went to bed. This morning at 7am (8.5 hours later) it was at 13. so that's a 3.5 ppm drop overnight. My pool gets sun from sunrise until 6 or 7 pm. (around 12 - 14 hours of direct sun exposure).

I know that increasing the CYA would call for a larger SLAM value but would I keep more of my FC in the long run? its a recurring issue after the pool has gone through the heat/sun of the day. I've gone through 16 gals of LC since the 9th basically 3 days

any ideas of what I should do?

This morning numbers

FC 13
CC .5

I would try to compare extra FC for slightly higher CYA vs boosting FC on lower CYA

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I think bumping to CYA/50 might be beneficial, as your pool is less UV resistant now that it's clearing :-D

I personally think your pool would clear faster if there were any way to dose more often. Any chance someone could dose a couple times mid-day?

As to the CYA its your call. If you are getting that much sun you may have a good reason to up the cya.

Maddie :flower:

This is just a personal opinion of mine. I mainly follow the TFP method exactly as described, but every so often there are 2 things I end up recommending to people, one of which may help in your current situation. One is using Bioguard Backup 2 for persistent waterbugs.

The other which may benefit you to have it ready for your start date is to use a water clarifier (like Leslie's Ultra Bright or Bioguard Polysheen Blue) to clear up the cloudiness you have. I don't use it or recommend it too often, but it does work from personal experience. What it does is it clumps together all those microscopic particles causing the extra cloudiness, so that your filter can catch these, thus making the water clearer. Use it in the evening and the next day (after pump/filter has been running) the water should be noticeably clearer. Don't make a habit out of using it, but in certain situations it can definitely help. This would be a one time use type of thing to assist in speeding up the cloudiness. Yes, it eventually will get clear using the SLAM process and you want to continue that until you pass an OCLT, but IMO the clarifier will help clear up some of the cloudiness faster.

P.S. Pool is looking better each day...keep up the hard work!

CajunGuy. I used to use Leslie's UltraBright for cloudy water. Although it is good stuff as far as polymers, I have heard from TFP pool owners that it does gunk up your sand filter, which requires more than just backwashing, and requires deep cleaning of sand.

I stopped using ultra bright clarifiers my third year in my pool ownership. This may or may not be practical, but I mechanically polish and alleviate cloudy water with a skimmer sock and Duda Diesel Polyester Felt 5 micron or 1 micron bag on my return jet. They only run about $5 a bag. My filtration methods, although simple, but over redundant, works very well Whether larger in ground pool owners want to implement multiple bags on their return jets, or block off some of them, and run just one return jet is their preference if they choose to go the bag route.

to run a skimmer sock I will need another skimmer basket, Currently have a handle installed. I've been running D.E. the last couple days in my sand filter and replace when I backwash. Yes there is someone home to add in the afternoon (12 -1) usually 2 gals but by the time I get home from work (5:30 - 6:00) its down to anywhere between 5 to 7 ppm. I would take that over 1 any day. It just seems to be really drinking the LC during the day. its getting really hard to keep my family ( my wife ) happy with trips to buy more every 3 days, its 36.00, 16 gal, a trip for the LC. That doesn't sound like much but 2 times a week. most times I go through 6 gal a day. been in the 90's a lot around here

If your pool is gobbling up Chlorine during the day but not at night, I would check that CYA again to be absolutely sure you have it right (I know, you’ve checked it a zillion times!) then increase it a bit.

Check again about that skimmer- Our Hayward clicks in and out of place on the basket and lets us use a skimmer sock.

You're definitely chewing thru some chlorine, much more than most. Either algae or sun..... yada yada yada

Maddie :flower:

to run a skimmer sock I will need another skimmer basket, Currently have a handle installed. I've been running D.E. the last couple days in my sand filter and replace when I backwash. Yes there is someone home to add in the afternoon (12 -1) usually 2 gals but by the time I get home from work (5:30 - 6:00) its down to anywhere between 5 to 7 ppm. I would take that over 1 any day. It just seems to be really drinking the LC during the day. its getting really hard to keep my family ( my wife ) happy with trips to buy more every 3 days, its 36.00, 16 gal, a trip for the LC. That doesn't sound like much but 2 times a week. most times I go through 6 gal a day. been in the 90's a lot around here

Have you done an overnight FC comparison? Once there is no more sun on the pool, test, dose, wait 30min, then test FC again, then as early as possible (but at least 10+hrs later) test just FC again. What is that difference? If it's within 2 or so of the last FC dose, I would bump the CYA up slightly, to 50 (from current level) to protect your FC from the 12-14hr sun exposure. Just make sure of the proper FC level for SLAM Process (([FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]))

Check again about that skimmer- Our Hayward clicks in and out of place on the basket and lets us use a skimmer sock.

we have what's called a "Skimmer Angel" it attaches to the bottom of the skimmer basket. The hayward snap-in handle was lost years ago LOL

After I got home last night and just sat in my garage in the quite I had a light bulb moment...……….I was so frustrated that I couldn't see the forest for the trees. I had tested the CYA yesterday afternoon and had found that is was 30 not 40 like its been for weeks. that's when I realized that I have had so much rain in the last few weeks that it had raised the water level to the point that I had to pump about 2" worth of water off, then it rained more and filled the pool another 1" to 1.5" that's basically a water change. I felt like a dummy, it makes perfect sense now, it didn't happen overnight it was over a week or so that this all took place. someone please tell me I'm at least close to the right explanation. lol

Got CYA up to 50 just to see what's going to happen in the sun. then of course there was another absolute down poor last night. so I will be keeping an eye on my CYA....

at 10:30 pm the FC = 21.5, This morning 6:30 am FC = 20 OCLT was 1.5 ppm this morning. CC = .5

Restocked the shelves, still have the remains from before TFP

this mornings pool picture : (lots of rain last night)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.