My first winter with screen logic

Reed Kadavy

Silver Supporter
Nov 22, 2015
Gilbert AZ
It’s 29 degrees this morning and I awoke to a half empty spa. The freeze protection kicked in for the pool and spa, but the spillway between pool and spa was also engaged because I had designated the spillway for freeze protection too. I assume this is the problem. Should you only designate pool and spa for freeze protection?

Reed,

Whatever you set up for "on with freeze" will obviously turn on when freeze control kicks in..

As you suggest, it does not make sense to have the spillway on freeze control.

If you have pool and spa set for freeze control, the system will run the pool for 15 minutes and then the spa for 15 minutes and then it just keeps repeating the cycle.

Jim R.

Reed,

Whatever you set up for "on with freeze" will obviously turn on when freeze control kicks in..

If you have pool and spa set for freeze control, the system will run the pool for 15 minutes and then the spa for 15 minutes and then it just keeps repeating the cycle.

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. That certainly makes sense.

Reed,

Jim R.

Jim,
Can I jump in here please and just confirm what I think you were saying as it relates to my own application?
So, this is also my first winter (it's going to be close to freezing tonight) with Pentair automation, and as you accurately stated recently, "Pentair Language is based upon ancient hieroglyphics, and is unreadable by the majority of humans" :laughblue:. So of course, trying to find detailed information about this topic in the documentation, is just a waste of time (I already tried :D).

I'm going to assume that the IntelliCenter and IntelliTouch/EasyTouch concepts are basically the same in this regard.

I activated "Freeze Protection" on the POOL CIRCUIT and also on a low speed PUMP FEATURE CIRCUIT (as shown below). The little "freeze icon" indicates that "Freeze Protection" has been checked for those two items. Can I assume that by doing so, this should energize the Filter Pump relay and then activate the pump at the indicated setting, if the temperature drops close to freezing? Does the automation use the Air Temperature Sensor or the Water Temperature Sensor to activate the FREEZE PROTECTION feature?

Thanks much for your help!

r.

2018-12-29_19-49-23.jpg

r,

I have my "Pool Circuit" set to 1200 RPM, so that anytime my pool is on, it runs at 1200, unless one of my feature circuits tells it to run faster.

In your case I would assume that you do not have a speed set up for your "Pool" circuit so your pump would run at zero RPM with freeze... Having your "Pump Flow 20 Feature Circuit" come on at freeze should then cause your pump to run at 20 GPM..

To me it is a waste of a feature circuit, but unlike me, you have plenty to spare... :p

Since this is all new, please keep an eye on how it works for you and let us know..

Thanks,

Jim R.

r,

I have my "Pool Circuit" set to 1200 RPM, so that anytime my pool is on, it runs at 1200, unless one of my feature circuits tells it to run faster.

In your case I would assume that you do not have a speed set up for your "Pool" circuit so your pump would run at zero RPM with freeze... Having your "Pump Flow 20 Feature Circuit" come on at freeze should then cause your pump to run at 20 GPM..

To me it is a waste of a feature circuit, but unlike me, you have plenty to spare... :p

Since this is all new, please keep an eye on how it works for you and let us know..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim!,
Also, this brings up another question. Let's say for instance that the automation determines that it needs to activate "Freeze Protection" and at the time, the automation is running another pump program? Will the "Freeze Protection settings" override the other program in lieu of the "Freeze Protection" programming?

Thanks...
r.

Thanks Jim!,
Also, this brings up another question. Let's say for instance that the automation determines that it needs to activate "Freeze Protection" and at the time, the automation is running another pump program? Will the "Freeze Protection settings" override the other program in lieu of the "Freeze Protection" programming?

Thanks...
r.

r,

Since I don't use freeze protection, because I run my pump 24/7, I really do not know the answer to that..

I "assume" since the Circuit is already on, that there would be nothing for the freeze protection to do..

I also "assume" that if your pump was running at 1000 RPM and you had a feature circuit for a speed of 2000 RPM, which was freeze protected, that when the freeze protection kicked in, the pump's speed would increase to 2K..

But you know what assuming will do to ya'.. Especially when trying to figure out Pentair Logic.. :p

Jim R.

r,
I also "assume" that if your pump was running at 1000 RPM and you had a feature circuit for a speed of 2000 RPM, which was freeze protected, that when the freeze protection kicked in, the pump's speed would increase to 2K..

But you know what assuming will do to ya'.. Especially when trying to figure out Pentair Logic.. :p

Jim R.

Jim,
Exactly what I was thinking as well, but I thought I would your ask opinion for just the very reason that you stated regarding assuming. :D

I will have to do some experimenting just for my own curiosity. This one is difficult, because I would have to get up around O dark thirty, during "close-to-freezing" conditions and see if the automation actually did that or not. I'm not sure if I am "that curious" :p. Too bad Pentair has not expanded the "History" features enough so that a user could just "pull-up", that info in a system memory search. Now I'm really dreaming. :D

Thanks much and hope you and yours have a very Happy New Year.

r.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.