My first TF-100 testing on 1 week-old plaster.

pewl

Aug 3, 2018
Coastal SoCal
Hi! My pool was finished a week ago with Plasterscapes. We have a startup pool company who handles new pools for or PB for the first 30 days. He's been coming and doing his thing, but today I broke out my TF-100. Care to take a look and let me know your thoughts on how we're doing?

pH . 7.8
TC . 2
TA . 70
CH 400
FC . 1
CC- nothing happened, so none?
CYA . 20

Thanks!

According to the calculator I should add 37 oz of 6% (no additives) bleach for an approx 18,000 gallon pool. Sound good?
Your current FC is only one. That may have dropped slightly by now as well. Adding 37 ounces only raises the FC by about 1ppm. I would triple that amount to increase your FC by 3 as Marty suggested. Shoot and maintain for that goal of about 3 ppm. Your water needs a bit more bleach right now to avoid algae.

Also consider adding just a little more stabilizer to ensure you have at least a CYA of 30. Even if you hit 40 accidentally, it's okay. But once you adjust (and verify) the CYA, make sure to balance the FC and CYA (together) as seen on the Chlorine/CYA chart (link in my sig).

Oops- that 2 was a typo, yes it was 1. Thank you- I'm new to all this. I was hoping the pool setup guy would be here daily like my PB said he'd be in the beginning, but that doesn't seem to be the case. When he does come, I've seen him dump a mound of CYA right in the skimmer basket, which I thought was a no-no here, too. I just bought bleach today, but have no CYA on hand. I think I saw Amazon was a good place to order it?

I would wait on adding any more CYA until you are sure what the 'pool guy' dumped into the skimmer has dissolved. Can take a number of days, especially with a cartridge filter, for that CYA to dissolve and show up in the water.
Next time:
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

That is exactly what I had read here about CYA and I cringed when I saw him dump it right in there. :rolleyes:
We have this guy coming for another 3 weeks then he sets up our SWCG and we can either sign on for service or handle it ourselves. I totally want to give this a try. I majored in Biology/Chemistry many moons ago (not that I remember much haha) and with the help of TFP I think I can figure this out and treat my pool with a lot more TLC than someone getting paid to drop in occasionally.

You can do it. Not a big deal. Especially with a SWCG. We leave for weeks at a time and have no issues. Just need someone to clean out the skimmer basket once in a while.

You don't show a pool cleaner. If you do not have one, get a robot. Justify on your ~$100 per month savings by not paying a pool service. Best investment, after the SWCG, you will make.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have read the threads here about the s200 from Marina Pools. I figure I'll go for it closer to my 30-day-new-plaster-robot-waiting-period. ;) If I also need a manual one for quick pick ups, what do you recommend? I have no clue about such things, except that they plug into the vacuum hole on the side of my pool bwahaha.

I have the vac hose and head and all that. Have never used it since getting the robot. Get a good brush and a robot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.