My first SLAM

Just catching up on your thread - it’s looking good 🤩
Here’s to passing ALL 3 end of slam criteria by morning 🍻 🤞
Thanks. Bad news...the R-0871 won't be here until hopefully tomorrow. Not sure how to proceed....I MIGHT have enough for one more test needing under 40 drops. Thinking I should just add chlorine as I have been and hope I just go overboard some.

The worst thing that could happen with that plan is that u definitely kill ALL the algae 🤣🤣
Slow Down Waiting GIF by Nick

I'm not sure the 12.5% chlorine I got from Menards seems as strong as the 10% from WM. Both had June dates, so I wasn't worried, but I feel like I should have had more FC a bit ago than I did after adding 40oz this morning. I lowered my CYA #'s again...I just can't tell between 60-70 and keep going back and forth. It changes my FC requirement by 4 either way. However, all of this being said, I couldn't test but once yesterday, so I will just start up again now that I have the R-0871 and see where we land. ;)

Reactions: Newdude
I'm not sure the 12.5% chlorine I got from Menards seems as strong as the 10% from WM. Both had June dates, so I wasn't worried, but I feel like I should have had more FC a bit ago than I did after adding 40oz this morning. I lowered my CYA #'s again...I just can't tell between 60-70 and keep going back and forth. It changes my FC requirement by 4 either way. However, all of this being said, I couldn't test but once yesterday, so I will just start up again now that I have the R-0871 and see where we land. ;)
When in doubt- round up so u know you’re covered!
Most 12.5% is 11% at best by the time it makes it to your house.

I guess I didn’t add enough chlorine yesterday… It’s eating through it like crazy since I got my test liquid yesterday. Any thoughts? I’m about ready to turn on the chlorine generator during the day this is getting ridiculous. :cry:

Any thoughts? I’m about ready to turn on the chlorine generator during the day this is getting ridiculous.
It won't hurt a thing and you'll never notice a few hours off its lifespan (the difference between its normal runtime and 24/7..... 12 hours a day ? It's basically peanuts, even for the week) Just remember to turn it off completely when it comes time to OCLT.

I believe you said that you passed the OCLT right? If that's the case and you're not in SLAM anymore, I'd want to fire up that SWCG too. I think the recommendation to shut this off during SLAM is to help you better manage your chlorine additions so that they aren't coming from multiple sources. Once your FC is in the right range with LC, you should be good to go with SWCG to maintain moving forward.

Reactions: Michelle22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I failed the OCLT test like I failed math tests in High School.
Funny, so it would appear that you still have some work to do. Good thing is that you've got clear water now and CC = .5 Look for any places in your pool where algae could be hiding (skimmer door, stairs, etc). I found it helpful to brush the pool often to ensure any algae was getting agitated and forced to the filter. I did that pretty frequently and ensured my FC was kept at slam levels. You seem to be doing a great job and must be almost done. You're going to pass this math test, I have faith!

Reactions: Michelle22
Thanks, Edge. I have been brushing and brushing. I wish there was an easy way to get the seam around the bottom where it joins the walls...I'm betting that the likely issue. Something like a long handled toilet brush! Not sure how to clean out all the hoses if I need to. I have wiped down the skimmer with straight bleach a couple of times and I will take out the ladder for a couple of days but it's only been in for about 3 days. There's really nothing else in contact with water besides the sand filter and SWCG.

Ladders can be algae hotels..
if water can go in to a crevice, algae can & will grow there.
Check the steps, rails etc. shoot the pressure washer & bleach in them or drill xtra holes if u need to.
also, don’t overlook the skimmer, weir door & its foam.
I had a slam that dragged on & on - there was one of those diver toys in the middle of the pool, I just keep brushing & vacuuming around it for a week thinking the fc had me covered. Nope 👎🏻 Finally retrieved it & the inside was filled with algae! I passed the oclt that night.
Same story with the steps, thought they were clean enough & fc would take care of it so I didn’t pull them out. After countless gallons of bleach & much frustration, I bit the bullet & sure enough, in the crevices, ALGAE! After that bout I drilled extra holes so i can access EVERY crevice with a brush & regularly disturb any biofilms.

I pulled everything possible out of the water....we'll see how it goes tonight. :) The ladder didn't even go in until Saturday and had been out all winter, so I'm guessing that's not the issue, but just in case, it's out of there!

Thanks, that's what I mentioned this morning. It's just odd that last week I was putting in LESS chlorine than I am now.

It doesn't always have forward progress. Any time you find more algae or brush more off the walls (it could be many layers deep) you'll lose more FC. Although it doesn't always feel or look like it, progress is progress. Got any pics ? How's it looking ?

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.