My First Pool

Great I think I got it, so here is what I do.

1. I buy stabilizer something like that http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hth-stabilizer/6000016956074
2. Add 900g (according to poolcalc) into the sock and hang it infront of the return.
3. I keep it there for a week or so, and after that do new CYA testing.
4. If test shows CYA 30 at the end of the week I do a SLAM to 12 with chlorine or bleach

Questions:

1. Do I have to run pump all week long non-stop ? or I can stop for a night.
2. Should I add anything else during this week, chlorine maybe ?

Thanks a lot.

You may SLAM while the CYA is dissolving. Just assume the level is whatever you targeted and add the FC accordingly. You don't want to stop for a week and have it turn green. The CYA granules will likely be dissolved completely in a day or two, it just doesn't show up on the test for a few days. You can speed it along by giving the sock a squeeze whenever you pass by.

hi dima and adolson, also following along from georgetown ontario. looks like you have made good progress! here's a list of stores i found to buy necessary TFP chemicals in canada:

muriatic acid: canadian tire, home hardware
liquid chlorine: can tire, walmart (HTH brand)
borax: walmart
baking soda: anywhere
CYA stabilizer: walmart (HTH), can tire
calcium chloride: home hardware (if need to increase CH)

btw last year my pool company president said that our town has the highest per capita number of pools (can't find confirmation on google though)

good day guys, almost a week has gone since I added stabilizer. I was slamming to 12ppm all that time. Here are my results for today.

FC 11ppm
CC 0ppm
pH 7.6ppm
Alk 120ppm
CYA 40ppm
Ca 130ppm

Please let me know what should I do now, when the water is good to swim ? Also Should I maintain FC at 12ppm always ? Thank you for your help

Today's pic

Please let me know what should I do now, when the water is good to swim ? Also Should I maintain FC at 12ppm always ? Thank you for your help

I'd say its time to swim!! (Swimming is okay if the pool is clear and you are below SLAM levels of chlorine) ENJOY!

<also, you can tweak the TA if you so desire even while you're enjoying the pool>

good day guys, almost a week has gone since I added stabilizer. I was slamming to 12ppm all that time. Here are my results for today.

FC 11ppm
CC 0ppm
pH 7.6ppm
Alk 120ppm
CYA 40ppm
Ca 130ppm

Okay, you've definitely passed the water is clear. And you've passed the CC is .5 or less. Assuming you've passed the overnight loss test, then you just need to maintain FC above 3 at all times for 40 CYA. Target 5 when you need to add again, and if it's above 3 the next time you test, 5 is your daily target. If it comes up at 2.5, then target 5.5 or 6. You'll figure it out in a couple days. You just want to add enough so that it stays aboce 3 until you check it the next day.

I know, testing and adding only once a day will seem kind of weak after all this time.

Okay, you've definitely passed the water is clear. And you've passed the CC is .5 or less. Assuming you've passed the overnight loss test, then you just need to maintain FC above 3 at all times for 40 CYA. Target 5 when you need to add again, and if it's above 3 the next time you test, 5 is your daily target. If it comes up at 2.5, then target 5.5 or 6. You'll figure it out in a couple days. You just want to add enough so that it stays aboce 3 until you check it the next day.

I know, testing and adding only once a day will seem kind of weak after all this time.

Wonderful thank you. So the overnight loss test is when I am losing about 1ppm a night, correct ? This is exactly what is happening. So I have about 12ppm FC so I will drop it to 5ppm and maintain this level. Thank you very much for all your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question guys, how many hours a day I have to run pool pump ?
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

attachment.php

Good day guys, attaching most recent pic of the pool. I dont really like the color of the water, looks like a little blurry and green. Here are the parameters I just took after the night. Will add chlorine now but anything else I should worry about ?

FC - 3.5ppm
CC - 0
pH 7.8
Alk - 120 ppm

It comes in a bottle to control metals. Robarb metal master is what I use and you can purchase online or a local pool store. It comes in a bottle with instructions on it.

Just google it and you will find the bottle. I buy mine from www.poolgeek.com as it seems to be the cheapest place and I buy it by the case cause its cheaper. I put the link below as it will explain it a bit too. It has worked great for me and not too expensive either.

http://www.poolgeek.com/products/robarb-metal-master-1-qt

Have you ever taken a new CYA test now that what you've added has had plenty of time to dissolve and disperse? You may need to maintain higher FC. It could be that letting it drop to 3.5 is too low.

Also, if you have high CH, like I do, it looks better with lower pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.