Apr 15, 2024
Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,

I recently got a new house with an inground pool, and we just replaced the vinyl in the pool, so it's filled with fresh water. I live in Quebec, Canada, where spring is starting (around 10°C).

I've ordered a saltwater generator (SWG) system, which will be installed this weekend. Additionally, I've purchased a TF100 test kit, which I will receive this weekend too

What should be my first step? Should I wait for the test kit to arrive, or can I start doing something or buy some chemicals now and salt ?

Do I need to boost my Free Chlorine (FC) levels with bleach to get started?

Ps : I have read all the pool school but I'm a beginner :)

Thanks!

I just read: "Just Filled Your Pool with Water? Here's What To Do Next - Further Reading" in the wiki section.

If I understand correctly, the first thing to do is to add CYA, then FC and salt on the same day, and follow the next steps.

Regarding the salt, is this type okay? And do you know how many 20kg bags I may need?

1000006511.jpg

Don't worry about the salt for now, but get 30ppm of granular CYA in there using the sock method and 4ppm of chlorine. Add another 2-3ppm daily until your test kit arrives.

Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add for the size of your pool.

Hi

Here is my results: ttf100

FC: 3
CC: 0.5
CYA: 25
PH : 7.2
TA: 40
CH : 0.75
TEMP: 70
Salt:0

Should I begin to increase cya and then ta ,and then ph and ch ?

When I the best time to add salt and start my swg for the first time ?

Thanks for your help

Always round up on the CYA test. So call it 30. Add chlorine to get to the high end of the FC/CYA Levels for 30 and CYA.

Run the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test as soon as you can before you add any more CYA.

You can add salt anytime. But start with 2/3 of your target to make sure your pool volume calcs are right. Give it 24 hours of mixing and retest.

Reactions: Newdude
Your pH is in range, but the TA is a little low. I'd add 2-3lbs of baking soda to get it up a little, and that's likely to bring your pH up some, too, after a few days.

CH isn't a concern with vinyl pools unless you have a heater. Check your test method, though, because that result is not possible with that kit.

Reactions: Newdude
Your pH is in range, but the TA is a little low. I'd add 2-3lbs of baking soda to get it up a little, and that's likely to bring your pH up some, too, after a few days.

CH isn't a concern with vinyl pools unless you have a heater. Check your test method, though, because that result is not possible with that kit.
Thanks for your tips