My First "Level" Pool Install and Deck Build

You did great, I was just wondering how you did your hidden post. I knew you had one somewhere, great planning. Now time to enjoy!

MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP
Powerline XP Pump 1 HP
Aquaview 17" Sand Filter
TF-100 Test Kit

JUST WAITING ON INSTALL!

How did you attach the pvc umbrella holders to the wood?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I used 1.5" PVC that I had left over from the hard plumbing job. I drilled a 3/16" hole all the way through at the top and the bottom about 2 inches from either end and straight in line with one another. Then I drilled a bigger hole in the front about 5/16" I believe. It was big enough for the head of a 2" deck screw to go through it. I slid a washer down inside the pipe and then inserted the screw through the big hole in the front and screwed through the small hole in the back. It is super secure.

Top View

I also drilled a 1/4" hole through the side about 4" down from the top. This is for the 1/4" pin that holds the umbrella in place. I put up 5 of these pipes so I can move the umbrella's around. I used a drill press to drill the 1/4" hole 4" down so that I would make them all exactly the same so you could move any umbrella to any pipe and the pin should line up with the holes. You could do it with a hand drill as well...just take extra care in keeping everything square.

I love your deck - just showed it to my dad.
I am thinking steps next. Would you think it would work

Steps into the pool should work fine. I fastened my factory ladder to the deck so it's really secure, but it's just me, the wife and our 7 year old using it.

It is usually me and my sister who is over 40. LOL
But my mom is 69 yrs old and has had a broken leg, 70 stitches in her right arm so I am looking for easy access for her.
My pool deck has a gate that locks with a padlock to keep the 5 yr old & 10 yr old godkids out when I am not home.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Steps into the pool should work fine. I fastened my factory ladder to the deck so it's really secure, but it's just me, the wife and our 7 year old using it.

Great looking install and deck! What did you do to fasten the ladder to the deck? Did you just weld a plate to the factory ladder? Also what did you do for your PVC adapters, links to parts if you have them. Thanks.

gesyry6y.jpg
got my steps the other day. Pure Heaven

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi. Love the deck and am looking to do the same. Couple of questions.

Are those 2"x10" that are connected to the 4"x4"? Is it one board or did you sister two together ? Did you use lag bolts to attach the 2x10 to the 2x4 which was connected to the 4x4?

Thank you for any help you can offer. Very nervous about undertaking this project but my family keeps reminding me that I told them 4 years ago we would have a deck.

I let the OP know you had questions about his deck. I'm pretty sure he used 2 X 10's sistered together. And I am fairly certain he just used green wood screws to attach the 2 X 4 , 2X10 and 4X4's together.

I'm not an engineer but 2 - 2 X 8's sistered would probably be plenty to carry the load of a deck as long as you have enough piers under it. One pier every 4 foot should be plenty for a deck. I have a 12 X 28 deck on the back of my house. I used 3 piers for each pair of the sistered 2 X 8 X 12's joist beams. I set one in the middle and the other two 1 foot in from each end. Then I framed the joists in 2X6's running the opposite direction. It doesn't wiggle at all. The important part is to make sure you cross brace all the 4 X 4 piers front to back and side to side to keep them from leaning before you begin the joist framing.

Here is a link to our blog showing our deck build.

http://themacsfixerupper.blogspot.com/2016/05/it-isn-mega-deck-it-mac-deck.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.