My first go at it..

Atocci

Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Mississauga
Hi everyone , 2nd year pool owner. I had a company maintain my pool last season.:) This season i decided to take it on myself.? Pool is currently closed right now. Im just waiting on the Tf-100 that was ordered. Once i have the kit I plan on opening it. in term of pool chemicals is this list accurate ? is there anything else i need ?
Liquid Chlorine
Muriatic Acid
Borax,
Baking Soda
Calcium Chloride
Stabilizer and Conditioner

Chlorine is a given. The rest depends on test results. It's unlikely you'll need both acid and borax, for example. You may not need much chlorine, depending on how green the water is, since you have a SWG. It could be you don't need a SLAM, just enough to bring the levels up before letting the SWG take over. If you stumble across a good price, or if it's hard to find, grab a few gallons when you see it. But don't lay in a stockpile of chemicals that may never get used. You don;t know if you'll need one canister of CYA or two, or if you have enough to get through a SLAM which gives you a week or more to get some for after.

Test results will tell you what you need. And if you're uncertain, post the results and someone will be along to guide you.

You probably can get by with just liquid chlorine, muriatic acid and stabilier. Stabilizer and conditioner are the same thing. You will see it sometimes referred to as CYA also. Once you get your TF-100, run all the tests and post them here and we'll let you know how to proceed. Also, test your fill water for pH, TA, and CH because that will affect your water chemistry some when you have to top up the pool from evaporation or if you need to exchange water due to high CYA or CH. It's good to know where you stand.

How does your water look? Is it clear, cloudy, or maybe even green? That will dictate how much liquid chlorine you'll need. If it's cloudy or green, make sure you stock up on liquid chlorine ahead of time because you will need a lot to bring the pool back to a sparkling oasis. I'd say a minimum of 10 cases (20 gallons).

I see Richard beat me to the punch.

Baking Soda, Calcium Increaser, CYA, Sodas Ash, something I don't recognize, and Phos-free. Looks like the pool store really worked the last owner good. {quote]

View attachment 138387

Googling says that's 70% Cal-hypo and that's probably trichlor pucks in the big bucket beneath the floater.
Seems they have everything else so I'll hazard a guess that the yellow bottle is dry acid [/QUOTE]

Without test results, there's no way to know what is going to be needed.

how do i hook up my heater? it was closed by a pool company last season , not sure where this wire does ... see pics, and if they're anything else that needs to be done.2BFF5F4A-3B93-4161-83C9-044096FD13FA.jpeg

Attachments

• 16FF178F-04C8-47C8-86A7-D7895AF4CB3B.jpeg
    16FF178F-04C8-47C8-86A7-D7895AF4CB3B.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 9
  • C066FCB9-C06B-415C-92C7-AECBB0960F16.jpeg
    C066FCB9-C06B-415C-92C7-AECBB0960F16.jpeg
    685.4 KB · Views: 9
My guess is that that is the bonding wire. Somewhere within reach of it there should be a bonding lug. A clamp with a screw to hold it, something like this. It will be on a metal section. But that is just a guess.
U17-568-img1_1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.