My first algae bloom

Okay, I come with my tail tucked between my legs and my head hung in shame. I was told, repeatedly, that I should stop using pucks. I failed to listen. Now I have a green pool with chlorine levels at about 3.0. Only other issue was a leaf stuck in my pump causing low flow. I'm almost certain the cya is what did me in. I've drain several inches off tonight and tested for chlorine again. But my levels are now so high I can't read them. The color is more of a dark orange and not yellow.

What is is my next option? My kids are ready to hang me from the nearest tree so I could use something soon.

I know now I'm going to need a tester for the cya levels. And I'm guessing once those are where you want them, you really don't have to do anything to them for quite a while. Still trying to figure all this out. Was feeling good, now not so much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 154
Yes, you are going to need a test kit that tests CYA and CL at high levels. Read test kit comparison (in my sight) and get a recommended test kit. Read The ABC's of pool chemistry in Pool School (button above). Don't hand your head in shame...lift it up as you are willing to try something different.

Okay. While I was at work, my mother-in-law stopped by and took a sample to our local pool store if it is accurate, my readings were better than I expected. I'm somewhat surprised that they see 40 to 100 the ideal range for stabilizer. Mine is at 95. So I know I need to get that down some more. I will continue to drain a few inches here and there and then refill from tap to get it down. Cal was at 5.0.

My water is definitely clearer. There is just a slight haze in the water. Is it just a matter of hitting it hard with chlorine one more time and seeing if that takes care of it? Or will the rest of it clear up over time with continued normal chlorine levels?

I plan on getting the kit as soon as I can. If nothing else, I'm going to get the cya test from tftestkits. $17 doesn't seem too bad. If I can get cya right and balance the ph and alkalinity, then it should get simple enough to maintain. At one point, everything was just working. Then I got lazy with the pucks. Not my best decision. Cya went up and the chlorine quit working.

As far as the pool store goes, these guys seem to know their stuff and aren't really out to make a quick and dishonest buck. If they were, they could have taken my mother for a ride. She once bought a car on impulse. Good timing as she hates it and I get to drive it while mine is down.

I will ill keep you posted with progress

Thanks again everyone.

What is your current CYA level? How are you measuring FC & CC?

If you are planning to truly rid your pool of algae and bacteria you are going to need a FAS DPD chlorine test kit.

Still using the simple test kit from Home Depot. The good news is that I've got it cleared up. I can see bottom at night with the porch light on which is twenth feet away. I do hope to get a proper test kit when possible. Just need to watch the money with five little mouths to feed. Kids eat first, then the pool. I think I will be fine once I get my cya a little lower. My FC is still high from the shock levels I maintained for several days. And the lower temps and rain haven't helped burn any off. I'm including a shot of the pool from right now using my iPhone at night. Many thanks to all for their help.

IMG_1299.jpg

Still using the simple test kit from Home Depot. The good news is that I've got it cleared up. I can see bottom at night with the porch light on which is twenth feet away. I do hope to get a proper test kit when possible. Just need to watch the money with five little mouths to feed. Kids eat first, then the pool. I think I will be fine once I get my cya a little lower. My FC is still high from the shock levels I maintained for several days. And the lower temps and rain haven't helped burn any off. I'm including a shot of the pool from right now using my iPhone at night. Many thanks to all for their help.
Sorry lots of info coming at you! =)

Just a question on your chlorine testing: (What did you use to shock the pool?)
Q/ Can you set-up your phone to video the test while it changes color?
- The reason being:
-- With your current test kit...
---
Your FC (free chlorine, i.e. available) is the color of the sample (after inverting twice to mix water+dye) in the first 2-5 sec, after that, if the sample continues to change color, that is CC (combined chlorine, i.e. used/no longer disinfecting)... And is NOT safe to swim in.
---- You need to S-L-A-M the pool to burn off the Combined Chlorine (link goes to description of CC, which has a link on how to properly S-L-A-M)
- I use a video to compare my test results at 3sec and at 3min, to see if there is any color difference in the sample. I've tried just taking a picture at each time point, but getting a focused picture in 3 sec takes some quick juggling! This will only temporarily help until you can get the FAS-DPD test :)
- With a high CYA level, your shock level of FREE CHLORINE will be much higher and not safe to properly treat without the FAS-DPD test.

I would suggest a S-L-A-M shopping list for you =) (and use PoolMath for right dosage) I understand $$ priorities!
I don't know which store you have nearby::
Dollar General
- $2.95 for 96oz Bleach (8.25% strength)
or
Walmart
- $3.64 for 128oz/1gal Liquid Pool Chlorine (10% strength)
- $0.88 Plastic 4.5c measuring cup (in Kitchen) (it's marked in oz from 2-36)

Once the S-L-A-M is done, and the pool is safe to swim in, it's very economical to keep up with just using the Bleach/Liquid Chlorine at low maintenance doses PoolMath

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK. It looks like I'm getting that test kit earlier than I thought. My wife just ordered one from Wally world. Should be here this weekend. Looking forward to getting some really good test results. I will post them as soon as I get it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Dom. I just noticed your question. I will be able to test my CYA level this weekend. Then I'll have a better idea of where my chlorine levels should be and should be able to reduce my CYA to wear it belongs.

OK. It looks like I'm getting that test kit earlier than I thought. My wife just ordered one from Wally world. Should be here this weekend. Looking forward to getting some really good test results. I will post them as soon as I get it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Dom. I just noticed your question. I will be able to test my CYA level this weekend. Then I'll have a better idea of where my chlorine levels should be and should be able to reduce my CYA to wear it belongs.

It's not test strips is it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.