My first AG Pool Build

Well, I'm back. Had to fix my computer. Mother board, CPU, and Memory had to be replaced. What a drag.posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=15677#
Here is the latest updates and Pics.
Check it out. There be water in the pool.
That thing in the pool that looks like some kind of seal or sting ray is a rubber pad floating around.
I don't have the steps mounted yet so I just tossed it in the pool. I'll get to it later.

poolpics4007.jpg

Had to build a retaining wall under the deck. I put a drain pipe in to keep the ground dry. The grade drops about 1" from the pool to the drain pipe. You will also notice a string coming from the deck. That is my reference at 90 deg from the house. It will keep the deck square to the house.

poolpics3006.jpg

Here are a couple of framing pics. Girders every 8 feet.
poolpics4003.jpg

poolpics4002.jpg

poolpics4011.jpg

This is about where I'm at now.
poolpics4013.jpg

poolpics4014.jpg

This will place the pool 16 ft away from the house.
I'm trying to get as close to the deck as possible so that we don't get splinters when climbing in and out.
poolpics4015.jpg

One thing that I noticed is that I'm having to pull a lot of leaves out of the skimmer each day.
If you don't know how much mess drops from a tree on a daily basis, build a pool under one.
I was thinking about building a large reservoir connected to the skimmer. Take the basket out of the skimmer and use
a huge screen in the reservoir to catch leaves. I wouldn't have to pull the leaves out every day and my pump
should last much longer. Haven't tried a search on Google yet to see if anyone has made one of these or not.

Wow! So you're saying that your deck boards are butted up next to the railing and not UNDER the railing? What precision! We did it the lazy way and put ours under the railing. Your pool looks fantastic and I applaud you for taking on such a feat!

Thanks for the support.
It took a little more time to scribe each board. The hardest part was the vertical support caps.
I have the deck boards down and now I'm working on the stairs and rail system. When I get a chance, I'll post some more pics.

Your deck is awsome! :goodjob:

Srswimsalot said:
One thing that I noticed is that I'm having to pull a lot of leaves out of the skimmer each day.
If you don't know how much mess drops from a tree on a daily basis, build a pool under one.
I was thinking about building a large reservoir connected to the skimmer. Take the basket out of the skimmer and use
a huge screen in the reservoir to catch leaves. I wouldn't have to pull the leaves out every day and my pump
should last much longer. Haven't tried a search on Google yet to see if anyone has made one of these or not.

Very interesting. Please let us know what you find and/or DIY.

We have had a few members make some screens to block the leaves from entering the skimmer basket, but I do not recall one involving removing the skimmer basket. :-D Keep us posted!

Hey Butterfly,
Looks like I'm stuck making my own reservoir. I think I'll start with a utility sink.
Sad part is that I had a sink with a lid that got thrown out a year ago.
Who knew I would need it.
Here is the plan.
I'll make sure the top is level with the bottom of the skimmer.
Connect the sink drain to the pump. Should be easy to make a screen that sits about half way down in the sink. Run the pipe from the skimmer to the top of the sink. As the water level drops in the sink, the water in the skimmer will start flowing into the sink.
I have to make sure the drain in the skimmer is much bigger so that a large volume of water can flow into the sink.
If all goes well, I should have it done before the end of the year.
I'll start another post with pics and how to. If it works.

Finally, I have the rails done.
The spindles are ¾” conduit painted black.
Only thing left , gates to each stair case.

poolpics6002.jpg

poolpics6001.jpg

poolpics6003.jpg

The upper deck is the only thing left of the old deck system. I'm going to make an outdoor kitchen in that spot using
a granite counter that was free from the local counter top shop. It has a crack at the front edge where the sink is located.
I plan to cut the front of the sink part out and slide my grill into that spot. The size of the counter top will define the size of the kitchen. There is also a smaller piece of counter top that I'm going to make a table out of and put it on the deck somewhere. Not sure where yet.

poolpics7001.jpg

poolpics7004.jpg

poolpics6005.jpg

poolpics6006.jpg

poolpics6007.jpg

poolpics7002.jpg

You can see my priorities. New pool and old roof.
Project for another day
poolpics7003.jpg

poolpics7005.jpg

It looks great! Such a spacious deck! I really like that! You've been busting your hiney! It'll be worth it when you get to really enjoy it! :cheers:

Congrats!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
SSAS,

That's very nice carpentry work on the deck. are the rails black iron pipe? Really good looking.

The pickets are galvanized conduit that I cut to 27" in length. Then I sanded, primed and painted them.
No where near the cost of prefab and I can cut to what ever length I want.

Butterfly said:
The deck is beautiful and the size is wonderful :goodjob:

Free granite counter top? :shock: You lucky dog, you! Can't wait to see your new outdoor kitchen :-D

I'm not going to start that until the spring. That will give me plenty of time to plan everything.

Great workmanship is showed in those pics Srswimsalot :goodjob:
The carpenter work looking really accurate and a big plus for the rails, those are awesome in my eyes.
It is something special with a wooden deck even if it demands a little maintenance to keep it in shape!
Congratulation! All you have to do now is to wait for spring to come, must be a good feeling :cheers:

Final part of pool and deck project is complete. I installed gates yesterday.
Kitchen will be another thread in outdoor kitchens.

This gate has to be at bottom of steps.
poolpics8002.jpg

poolpics8001.jpg

:whoot: Plan to put in a paver walkway to the driveway but for now I can relax for the next couple of months. :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.