My Closing Process. Does everything look right?

achenx75

Jun 4, 2022
Central New Jersey
Hello, first time pool closer here. I've asked for help many times from this forum and need to once again lol. After doing a lot of research, this is the closing process I'm going to follow. Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or if I'm missing anything!

Info:
Ph-
7.8 CYA-40/50 CH-90 TA-90
2 skimmers, 2 returns, no main drain (I think it was removed years ago)
Pool temp is around high-ish 60's right now so I think I'm going to skip the Polyquat. (Weather says it's going to be low 70's/high 60's from here on out)

Prep:
I'll clean and vacuum the pool first and dip my Ph just a bit to get it into the 7.4-7.6 range. I'll then SLAM the pool and basically dump all remaining liquid chlorine I have into the pool a day before I blow out the lines. I'll then drain the water an inch or so below the 2 return jets. (Backwash to clean filter, then use a sump pump the rest of the way) I would SLAM after draining but have no way to circulate the water because of no main drain. I'll remove the ladders, rails, skimmer doors (weer? lol) and return jet eye balls of course.

Blowing out the lines:
I'll use a 6 gal pancake air compressor and fit it into one of 2 plugs in my pump (Hayward Super Pump). I'll start with the skimmers first so I'll set the MPV to Closed so that it blocks off the filter return jet lines and air can only travel through the skimmer lines. I'll close one of the skimmer valves and work on getting as much water out of it as I can from the other skimmer with a wet vac. From there, I'll put in my Gizzmo, fill half a gallon of anti-freeze through the plug into the lines, and I'll pour maybe 1/4 gallon around the Gizzmo, in the skimmer. I'll close off that skimmer and open the other skimmer and do the same.

Now onto the return jets. I'll have both skimmer valves closed and set the MPV to Recirculate. This should bypass the filter so the air goes basically directly to the return lines. I'll plug both return jets to let it build up pressure then remove one to blow out the water. I'll do that to both return jets a few times to try to get out as much water. Then I'll get a funnel and pour some anti-freeze down the return jets and the plug them up.

Finish:
I'll remove sight glass, pressure gauge, 2 pump housing plugs, and the drain plug from the filter and set the MPV to Winterize so that all the water can drain from the sand filter. I'll apply some lube to all O-rings and have a friend help me put on the cover. Remove the little on off switches for the timer and shut off all breakers and...done?

Additional Question:
Should I fill the water back up to below the skimmer before I put the winter cover on?

Attachments

• 308478188_1113024955990898_8073430467977584545_n.jpg
    308478188_1113024955990898_8073430467977584545_n.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 10
  • 3DzuACE - Imgur.jpg
    3DzuACE - Imgur.jpg
    799.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Are you using a solid tarp type cover? If so I wouldn't even drain the pool. If you drain it for your own piece of mind while blowing out the lines, raise the water level back up so the pool water supports the cover. I don't see anchors in the decking so I assume you have the solid cover (so do I). My pool company doesn't drop my water level and this year I'm with you and closing on my own & I'm not dropping it. I basically have the same game plan as you but I'm buying a cyclone blower and I have a cart filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.