My calcium is out of control, & my water is very hard. If refilling is not an option, are there water softeners designed specifically to handle pools?

Jun 20, 2018
Rochester, NY
I can't get the pool clear because of the level of calcium. I just opened my pool, double shocked it, and I see calcium floating to the top. I'm about to install a salt system, but would like to get the calcium under control. I'm on well water and it's incredibly hard, so it seems a bust just to drain and fill. Does a water softener exist that you can just slap on your pool and reduce the calcium at your leisure?

You can add a water softener to your pool's fill line, but that won't lower the calcium hardness (CH) of your water. It will only slow down the climb from that point on. How high is your CH, and how high is it out of the pool fill line? Those are both important to know.

What kind of shock are you using? I hope liquid chlorine and not cal hypo because that will also cause your CH to rise. You really want to get your CSI under control before adding a salt generator or else you will get a lot of premature scaling on the plates of the cell.

Post a full set of numbers including the CH of your fill water so we can give you more targeted advice.

There are services that will do this, for example: Alternative for Draining Pool | Nuwaterresource | Fresno CA

But I think these kind of services tend to be concentrated in the drier parts of the country that have lots of hard water, lots of evaporation, and little exchange through rainwater. You should look around to see if there is anything in your area. Google things like pool water purification, or pool reverse osmosis.

I think you may have some other things going on here... I would reiterate that you should post more details about your setup, how you are chlorinating, and some test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.