My 18x52 Intex Ultra Build - Mods: skimmer, inlets,outlets, return-PVC Diagrams/Video

Re: My 18x52 Intex Ultra Build - Mods: skimmer, inlets,outlets, new return-PVC Diagra

The new 1hp 4500gph unit arrives today, thats a work in progress. I got the intex robot hooked up last nite, but its having issues to the point i have to turn off the return jet and utilize only the robot port on my pvc, at least till i get the new pump installed.

I found a great deal for 2 of the solarpro 4512 game domes online, so for now, holding off on putting solar panels on the garage roof, i'm going to give these a shot.. along with the diverter kit.. unsure if ill need a separate pump or if it will reduce pressure on the main pump, in the progress of figuring that out.

Currently i'm working on replacing the intex sand pump with the 21" hayward combo S210T93S with 1.5 hp pump (pump can put out 62 GPM/3600GPH or so at 40 feet of head) but the tank at 21" is only able to do 44, so limited to about 2650 overall.. guessing the intex 2100 rated one was the motor and not the combination with its mere 12" tank. Apparently you need the 24" tank to equal the performance of the pump, but i'm guessing this 21" combo will be much more powerful and better and able to handle dual suction and dual returns without the need to go to a 24" tank (about $90 more).

The biggest issue i'm dealing with, is that i have to move the motor closer to the receptacle.. 6 foot cable.. it will end up going behind the lattice, left of my door and UNDER the deck (instead of adding a cover and having it in the open).. i'm also going to place the tank just behind the door under the deck (i assume this will help with longevity).. to do all this, i have to now extend my plumbing, possibly adding more overhead due to right angle turns i will add.. or cut what i have and try to keep it straight and over, but maybe laying on the ground i think.. this weekends project.

Putting the motor further back under the deck was problematic.. it created a crowded condition per this photo, along with my simulated pipes coming out, obviously cut differently final, but the idea is there:

pumpinitial.jpg

I've decided to go for the next layout in the next pic.. unfortunately that means running a conduit from the existing receptacles to create a new one which will live behind where the door hits (door stopper needed), allowing for the pump to go inside the door way, now giving easy access.. straight line pvc plumb to the suction port on the existing pvc.. and of course move the SWG further back out of the way.. this will mean putting the tank outside right where the old one is, but that should be fine.. its unfortunate there is no way to just extend the power connection safely
pumpfinalmaybe.jpg

Ill also have to run pvc pipe to where i'm placing the dual solar domes.. likely a 12 foot run in one direction, hopefully this doesnt cause too much head distance.

I'm about to by the same pool, but I intend to go lower end for now and get the Intex sand filter and SWG. What is the benefit of the side skimmer, and all the extra PVC pipe? My dad runs a hardware store so I can get PVC stuff next to nothing. If it makes a better experience I'll do it, but if it is just for a few added luxuries I have to wait. I'm putting up a 7ft privacy fence and building a bigger deck as well. I'm limited on how much I can put into the pool up front. I'm also taking down trees in the yard, so there shouldn't be much to worry about with leaves and branches.

I'm about to by the same pool, but I intend to go lower end for now and get the Intex sand filter and SWG. What is the benefit of the side skimmer, and all the extra PVC pipe? My dad runs a hardware store so I can get PVC stuff next to nothing. If it makes a better experience I'll do it, but if it is just for a few added luxuries I have to wait. I'm putting up a 7ft privacy fence and building a bigger deck as well. I'm limited on how much I can put into the pool up front. I'm also taking down trees in the yard, so there shouldn't be much to worry about with leaves and branches.

I added the wider attachments for better flow and ease of upgrading later. Not necessary really. With the new hayward I'll get very good circulation with the dual suction and wide pipes. Maybe 15 percent better than before or more. Mileage varies

- - - Updated - - -

So I received the new hayward and the lateral assembly appears damaged I think. The two fins it stands on, one is bent inward. Both are NOT straight and same distance apart

I assume this is not normal.

If so I'm debating a return via jet.com or deal with hayward sending new lateral. I think jet may be faster and just reorder.

The new pump was put in place.. its showing 20 psi which i hope is just its "norm".. the diverter on the solar domes is reading 11psi, on the fringe of just still being in the green.

I turned the other suction on about 50% leaving the hayward skimmer fully open.. with them both full open, i have about as much suction as before with the skimmer, but the second return outlet (suction) doesnt feel super suctiony...

The robot also has issues getting stuck.. this with both the return and the robot on full.. i can turn down the return port some, robot does better, but eventually gets stuck.. so for now when doing the robot, i have the return off, unfortunately.. surprising as i thought going from 0.5 to 1.5 would have solved everything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: My 18x52 Intex Ultra Frame Build - Mods: skimmer, inlets,outlets, new return-PVC

Thank you so much for adding the pics, especially the numbered and itemized one. Very helpful!!
I am new here and would like to keep some of these ideas for future possibilities...especially for a Hayward strainer and possibly a solar heater if I ever decide to brave the tornado alley risk and keep the pool up.

QUESTION: Does anyone know how long the pictures will stay up on this site? I've noticed most are unavailable from older posts. I just cut my pool walls to increase the double outlets on an 18x52, as well.. Pictures would have made me more comfortable, but it worked.

Thanks again

Re: My 18x52 Intex Ultra Frame Build - Mods: skimmer, inlets,outlets, new return-PVC

Thank you so much for adding the pics, especially the numbered and itemized one. Very helpful!!
I am new here and would like to keep some of these ideas for future possibilities...especially for a Hayward strainer and possibly a solar heater if I ever decide to brave the tornado alley risk and keep the pool up.

QUESTION: Does anyone know how long the pictures will stay up on this site? I've noticed most are unavailable from older posts. I just cut my pool walls to increase the double outlets on an 18x52, as well.. Pictures would have made me more comfortable, but it worked.

Thanks again

No problem.. Pics on here depend on where people are posting them.. ie: photobucket or other sites or whether they have removed their pics and forgot they linked them.. usually the case.. in my case i'm using my own website to do it.. so, for as long as i continue to have it, they stay.. i probably should have used a 3rd party, but this was quicker.. and no intention of taking it down.

I've added a video of my pre-solar planning status with shots of the hayward pump now in place with pvc.

I'm having an issue with surface debris, bugs, pollen, things in the water that i had hoped a stronger pump would fix.. maybe a circulation direction issue or just how it is with pools (still a relative newbie)?

April 30th log: Intex 18x52 Hayward 1.5hp pump and pre-solar panels, issues with surface debris - YouTube

other details so far:

I've since upgraded the pump from the Intex 0.5hp 2100gph pump to this new 21" + 1.5Hp Hayward Matrix pump.. extended my wiring to get closer to the pump. Opted to put the motor out in the open not under the deck.. i may or may not add a cover to the motor.
Solar Domes so far have been a failure as expected.. no difference in temperatures.

I do have to turn off the return eyeball and turn on the robot port full force to keep it constantly moving. From reading.. this is just as good, having the robot running and eyeball off, for circulation.

I cant have both suction + skimmer either.. just as before with the intex.. unfortunately.. even turning the dial on the suction down doesnt do much.

I'm about to add the S601P to the setup, on the garage roof, 160sq feet (2 boxes), as mentioned before, with actuator (link in previous post to that build log).

Preplanning that at this time.

Your set up looks great! A little tip we have found, when closing up for the winter, after securing the cover, using the cable, wrap the entire pool several times in pallet wrap. Be sure to wrap the bottom edge of the cover completely, and the cover will not come loose all winter. We have done this for several winters with no issues.

Your set up looks great! A little tip we have found, when closing up for the winter, after securing the cover, using the cable, wrap the entire pool several times in pallet wrap. Be sure to wrap the bottom edge of the cover completely, and the cover will not come loose all winter. We have done this for several winters with no issues.
Thank you.. by wrap, you mean like this? Not sure that my cover extended down far enough.. the winter part i needed to fix/adjust next year.. i was thinking of going with a 21' cover this time.. maybe a bigger inner tube (if i could find one).. i wish i could get it such that no water would form on the cover in the winter, not sure how, need some sort of huge thing in the middle.. I was thinking of doing some sort of hooks into the ground.. the jugs i tied on around the pull eventually gave out or actually got pulled up into the pull, the wind is that strong. Any suggestions on how to deal with poor skimming? I think maybe the wind direction just hasnt been favorable this early in the year.. find ourselves out there with the net for 20 minutes trying to improve the surface.

With the more powerful pump "Intex Pump and Sand Filter" this year I have been using the Intex over the side skimmer and found that it does a better job than the Hayward skimmer I had in my older pool. That in combination with the Intex Pool cleaner "which I leave in all the time now" I have had LESS issues with stuff floating on the top and eventually sinking to the bottom.

We are right next to a tree which likes to drop its leaves all year, the Intex skimmer with the more powerful pump now catches most of this litter before it reaches the bottom of the pool. So I am waiting for a month or so to see if I want to to to the trouble of installing a through the wall skimmer. Just an FYI

With the more powerful pump "Intex Pump and Sand Filter" this year I have been using the Intex over the side skimmer and found that it does a better job than the Hayward skimmer I had in my older pool. That in combination with the Intex Pool cleaner "which I leave in all the time now" I have had LESS issues with stuff floating on the top and eventually sinking to the bottom.

We are right next to a tree which likes to drop its leaves all year, the Intex skimmer with the more powerful pump now catches most of this litter before it reaches the bottom of the pool. So I am waiting for a month or so to see if I want to to to the trouble of installing a through the wall skimmer. Just an FYI
Interesting info thanks.. so do you do dual returns with the robot? I have dual returns, but even with the hayward i cant do both and many said just using the robot alone is a good enough replacement for Not having the return jet going.. so i've been leaving only the robot going on the bottom, no return jet, along with maybe 10% suction on the dual suction ability i have with the suction port + hayward skimmer.. giving most power to the skimmer.. i also thought maybe my debris on the surface was due to circulation being different and the skimmer needing to be on the opposite side of the pool (though the basket is often full of stuff, there just always seems to be enough debris on the very top that a net is needed before swimming).. i had hoped my combo of things would have eliminated the skimming by net before a swim.

I plugged one of my returns with the black cap that came with the pool, I removed the screen and the small black hat covers the small nozzle underneath perfectly, then I screwed back on the screen and use the single return to hookup the Intex Skimmer, it made a huge difference in how much suction the skimmer has, then I connected the Intel Pool cleaner and it has enough power to move pretty quickly around the pool.

Hope that answers the question. I am taking your idea for plugging the other suction port by using the hayward fittings and cap to seal that second suction line for good.

I plugged one of my returns with the black cap that came with the pool, I removed the screen and the small black hat covers the small nozzle underneath perfectly, then I screwed back on the screen and use the single return to hookup the Intex Skimmer, it made a huge difference in how much suction the skimmer has, then I connected the Intel Pool cleaner and it has enough power to move pretty quickly around the pool.

Hope that answers the question. I am taking your idea for plugging the other suction port by using the hayward fittings and cap to seal that second suction line for good.
Not sure i followed what you meant.. you mentioned plugging the "return".. did you mean outlet?.. so you are just using a single return to the robot and a single outlet (suction) for the skimmer basket correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.