MX8 Elite Wearing Through Tracks

Savheath

Jan 10, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Hello!
We have had our MX8 Elite for almost a year and have already replaced the tracks once and they’re getting stretched out again. The manager at Leslie’s said that it is probably running too quickly, but the only way I could find to slow it down was the flow valve and it was already set on the setting that should make it the slowest from what I could tell. Does anyone know of something else to help slow it down or to not go through tracks every 6 months?

Crack open the valve to the vacuum line a little to reduce the suction on that line by pulling in a little water from a skimmer or the main drain.

The MX8 should do 10 wheel rotations within 20-25 seconds. There is a yellow arrow on one of the wheels you can use to count the rotations. Under 20 seconds means it's running too fast.

Thank you. I have done the speed test and did it when I set up the vacuum and it was within range. But apparently in range is still too fast? What is the valve to the vacuum line? Is that the piece in the skimmer basket that is like the flow valve? It is already on the slowest setting it has. There are only like 4 speed settings so I’m at a loss of what to do and feel like I wasted my money on this vacuum.

Sounds like you don't have a dedicated vacuum line. The valve by the pump for the skimmer you would need to close off a little to reduce the suction (as long as you have another line still open) and/or open another line a little such as another skimmer or the drain, or reduce the RPM of your pump slightly.

Last edited:
You can reduce the MX-8 RPMs by reducing the suction to the skimmer where the MX-8 is installed. It takes some trial and error to get it set correctly. It's not unusual for the tracks to get worn down or stretched out. Best to replace them with OEM tracks.

You can reduce the MX-8 RPMs by reducing the suction to the skimmer where the MX-8 is installed. It takes some trial and error to get it set correctly. It's not unusual for the tracks to get worn down or stretched out. Best to replace them with OEM tracks.
Do I do that with the flowkeeper valve? I have that on a level 1, which is supposed to be the lowest flow? What are some other ways to reduce the flow?
We brought the vacuum in to Leslie’s last time and they said these vacuums shouldn’t be going through tracks every 6 months. If I get my own tracks and replace them, will it void my warranty? Or maybe not because tracks aren’t covered.

Do you have one of these installed at the cleaner head and the flow keeper valve installed at the other end?

I used to go through tracks like crazy and it wasn't because they stretch out. It is because there are little rubber teeth that get worn off on the inside of the track. This was due to a bad Side A & B assembly in the cleaner compounded by the cleaner running too fast. I am not sure that running as hard as I was in the beginning didn't destroy the side assemblies. I purchased a rebuild kit off amazon, installed the appropriate flow regulators and haven't had an issue since. It climbs all the way up the sides, noses out of the water and meanders around the pool doing a very good job and keeping it clean.

I was really irritated that it kept breaking down in the beginning.

Do you have one of these installed at the cleaner head and the flow keeper valve installed at the other end?

I used to go through tracks like crazy and it wasn't because they stretch out. It is because there are little rubber teeth that get worn off on the inside of the track. This was due to a bad Side A & B assembly in the cleaner compounded by the cleaner running too fast. I am not sure that running as hard as I was in the beginning didn't destroy the side assemblies. I purchased a rebuild kit off amazon, installed the appropriate flow regulators and haven't had an issue since. It climbs all the way up the sides, noses out of the water and meanders around the pool doing a very good job and keeping it clean.

I was really irritated that it kept breaking down in the beginning.
YES! I do have that piece! Is it adjustable? Do you think I did the same thing and need to get a new one, or can I use the piece I have? I’m not sure I trust myself to rebuild something, plus it is still under warranty for 2 more years. Unfortunately tracks are the only thing the warranty doesn’t cover

I don't know what is going on with your unit but if it is running at the correct speed and it keeps wearing out the inside of the treads, then the side A/B mechanisms are the likely culprit. As far as the rebuild kit is concerned it really is a matter of removing a few screws, putting in the new part, and screwing it back together.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.