Mustard algae

mfdiy

Jul 3, 2016
RI
Hi all, i believe i have mustard algae. I understand that the way to treat this is to super shock the pool. And that mustard algae likes shaded areas. My question is this. If mustard algae likes the shade, would this include the shade from being under a solar cover?

21k inground
FC = 9
CC= 0
PH = 7.5
TA= 100
CYA = 35-40

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School.

Mustard algae is somewhat rare. Thus TFP suggests treating it as 'normal' algae until you successfully complete a SLAM Process and then for just 24 hours raise your FC to a mustard algae level. Then possibly keep your FC elevated above the normal target level based on your CYA until no signs of the mustard algae reappear.

How did you get your test results? To use the SLAM Process process you must have a CYA test you have performed and a FAS-DPD test kit.

Thank you. I missed the part about keeping FC above normal for a period after the slam. I have a taylor kit but this time i tested the CYA using Blue Devil test this time around.. its similar to the Taylor test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.