Mustard Algae with high CYA...Need Advice

Mr. G

Jul 10, 2014
Billerica MA
Hello,

I need some advice. Draining and re-filling is not an option. My mother-in-law has an issue with her pool and yellow algae growing on gunite walls.
With a CYA of 70 and mustard algae present, should I SLAM the pool first(Recommended shock level is about 39!) or should I lower the CYA first(takes about a week using a bio chemical available at Leslies that I have used in the past). Draining half the water isn't really a good option in this case. Gunite pool, chemistry is typically according to the pool calculator and recommendations here. Due to medical issues Trichlor pucks have been used - unfortunately. We will be using sodium hypochlorite after we kill the algae. I have never used the product with visible algae on the walls(water is clear, but walls have to be brushed where the algae grows).

A CYA of 70 is very doable to SLAM Process. The shock level is 28 ppm. You do NOT use mustard algae shock level for the SLAM. If the algae is mustard algae, then you raise to the MA shock level for 24 hours after you pass the three criteria for a SLAM Process.

Do not use the bio-active stuff. It has not worked in the past. A number of tries in the past. Search for it on the forum (search box upper right of this page).

You do need a proper test kit. What kit do you have?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.