Gold Supporter
Jul 25, 2022
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Been dealing with an algae problem for the past two weeks that won't go away. I'm going to be draining my pool 70% to get my 160 CYA level and 3600 phosphates level down to more healthy levels. Please see pics taken earlier today. 2 weeks ago my pool went from crystal clear to deep forest green in literally 36 hours! After shocking the heck out of it for the past 2 weeks with liquid chlorine (which apparently isn't going to solve the problem because of my ridiculous CYA level, hence the pool drain) I'm almost back to cloudy blue. But these pics taken just today...are all those patches on the bottom mustard algae or pollen? This has definitely been an expensive lesson to learn regarding levels of FC that were too low, combined w/ levels of CYA (only using liquid chlorine from here on out) and phosphates that were way too high and ultimately, having to drain the pool. But the algae ain't gonna beat me! I have updated bottles of every bottle in my K-2006C test kit in the mail to me right now as I type this! Thanks!

Attachments

• algae-1.jpg
    algae-1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 13
  • algae-2.jpg
    algae-2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 14
I've been SLAMing for the past 2 weeks, but I "think" my 160 CYA level is basically rendering the liquid chlorine useless at this point? I've gotten to an almost cloudy blue point, but I can't get past it to crystal clear. Called the water truck to set-up a delivery of 7000 gallons earlier today. I think it's my only hope at this point?

Same thing here, not sure what the heck is going on, this is my 6th season and never a problem before. I slamed the Tick out of it, 8 gals of 12.5 pool shock in one day. Got rid of the mustard green looking algae, but the water remained cloudy. Might of cleared up a tad. That was last Saturday, today algae and total cloudy, I am draining the dog gone thing. Going to brush out the inside and use lots of bleach too, I put 1/2gal down both skimmer baskets after they were drained. Cleaned the filter good, anything that might hold that filthy algae is getting shocked with 12.5. Will take about 24-36 hrs to fill, i have a high flow outdoor pump. As its filling I'll add 2 gal of pool shock then some CYA in a sock once its filled. Suppose to be 96 on Wed, I better have a clear pool....

Same thing here, not sure what the heck is going on, this is my 6th season and never a problem before. I slamed the Tick out of it, 8 gals of 12.5 pool shock in one day. Got rid of the mustard green looking algae, but the water remained cloudy. Might of cleared up a tad. That was last Saturday, today algae and total cloudy, I am draining the dog gone thing. Going to brush out the inside and use lots of bleach too, I put 1/2gal down both skimmer baskets after they were drained. Cleaned the filter good, anything that might hold that filthy algae is getting shocked with 12.5. Will take about 24-36 hrs to fill, i have a high flow outdoor pump. As its filling I'll add 2 gal of pool shock then some CYA in a sock once its filled. Suppose to be 96 on Wed, I better have a clear pool....
So I drained it down to about 6 inches. Water seemed clear last night, this morning I see in the liner creases the mustard green algae regrouping. I went to walmart and picked up a bottle of HTH 'algae fighter'. Got home added the appropriate amount (the entire bottle), swished it around by walking and with a brush on long handle. Then blew out the returns, floor drain & skimmer lines.
It looks like the HTH killed that crappy algae, will update later but I have a good feeling about this. Pool is filling, looks like about 1 to 1.5 inches per hour so its going to go all day and all tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.